2008 parasitic drain

Ignition, lighting, chassis, more

2008 parasitic drain

Postby Tonya Llewellyn - April 20th, 2016, 4:20 pm

So I've done a lot of the leg work on this already but I'm at a standstill as to what to do next. We have a 2008 Escape and there was a drain on the battery to the point that it killed a year old battery completely. I replaced it just to make sure it wasn't that and then started to do the drain test. Lo and behold when I pulled fuse 26 (Instrument panel cluster) the charge dropped to .3!! Nothing looks bad on the cluster, everything operates fine. However my radio recently malfunctioned, it lost power almost completely and when you hit the power button it flashes 2:44 then nothing. I had that disconnected to be safe. Alternator is tested and runs like it's brand new. Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!!!
Tonya Llewellyn

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2008 parasitic drain

Postby Mike Dee - April 20th, 2016, 6:31 pm

I just took a quick look at the manual someone posted yesterday for the 01-07, not sure if the fuses are different for the 08, but 26 is hot all the time and also controls the door switches and interior lights. Seeing as how theres several problems, including the door switches, maybe you can pull out the interior lights that come on when a door is opened and leave it like that for a couple weeks and see if anything changed. It happened to my 05 one day, I was out in the yard and I noticed my lights come on for no reason. Months later and I havent had a dead battery. I will probably get around to changing the door switches...or maybe thats a maybe.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!

Postby Tonya Llewellyn - April 20th, 2016, 7:30 pm

On the 08 the interior lights are on a separate circuit, 26 controls the Instrument Control Cluster, I checked it against my manual. The only thing acting strange is the radio but neither of those fuses are drawing any additional power. For each fuse we waited for the veh interior lights to die off before we took the reading
Tonya Llewellyn

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Tonya Llewellyn - April 24th, 2016, 3:29 pm

It's definitely that fuse that's draining the battery, since we discovered it we pull it when we're not in it for more than 2 hours. The battery has not died once since. I guess I just need to figure out what is on that circuit and start tracking down the short. No idea how to do that yet, but I'm a fast learner thankfully.
Tonya Llewellyn

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Donkey3do - July 20th, 2020, 6:32 pm

Hey, I just recently bought an 08 Ford Escape and I'm having the same problem. Narrowed the drain down to fuse 26 (Instrument Panel Cluster). I'm wondering what you ended up having to do to solve the issue.
Donkey3do

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Electrical Mods