Rear turn signal bulb same as brake/tail bulb?

Ignition, lighting, chassis, more

Rear turn signal bulb same as brake/tail bulb?

Postby Illyria69 - May 12th, 2020, 6:19 pm

2010 Escape.

Do the brake / tail / turn signal operate off the SAME BULB? or are different bulbs doing the job?
I noticed that the section that lights up when signaling is the same section as the brake/tail light section... and not the section BELOW the brake light like I expected: THAT section is the backup light.

IF the turn signal bulb is a SEPARATE bulb from tail/brake light bulb, has anyone changed that bulb to a yellow/amber bulb so that the turn signal would light up halfway amber at least? (IDK why but RED turn signals bug me).

And can the backup bulb be changed to an LED bulb?

Thanks IA.
Illyria69

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Rear turn signal bulb same as brake/tail bulb?

Postby bangster - May 12th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Yes, there is a single bulb that is the taillight and turn/brake (and side marker as well as it wraps around), and it is a clear bulb (with 2 elements, one brighter than the other for brake/turn) and red lens, no amber. Yes, the 921 bulb used for backup does have available LED replacements. Since this bulb is used in other places, make sure you get one with high enough power for backup, and not a cheap one that might light up the interior of a vehicle okay.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6
Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Re: Rear turn signal bulb same as brake/tail bulb?

Postby Illyria69 - May 12th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Thank you!
you have been patiently answering my noob questions and I appreciate it.

Guess I will have to live with the ALL RED tail-light assembly. :)
Will swap the interior and back up lights to LEDs soon...

Is it possible to swap out the 1-mile tall factory antenna for a "stubby" antenna? I searched and saw a thread where someone had done it, but dodn't have details... where can one get one, and is it a direct swap?

bangster wrote:Yes, there is a single bulb that is the taillight and turn/brake (and side marker as well as it wraps around), and it is a clear bulb (with 2 elements, one brighter than the other for brake/turn) and red lens, no amber. Yes, the 921 bulb used for backup does have available LED replacements. Since this bulb is used in other places, make sure you get one with high enough power for backup, and not a cheap one that might light up the interior of a vehicle okay.
Illyria69

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Return to Electrical Mods