Best/better conventional H13 and Fog replacement bulb

Ignition, lighting, chassis, more

Best/better conventional H13 and Fog replacement bulb

Postby Illyria69 - February 14th, 2021, 1:49 pm

This is not really about a "mod" but:

(2010 Escape)
I am going to change the interior lights and backup lights to LEDs, and while I am at it, I thought I'd go ahead and see if I can improve illumination from headlights by going with a better bulb if possible.
No clue what's in there now.

For those who have replaced headlight bulbs (H13 I think): Is there one CONVENTIONAL H13 bulb that has better illumination than others at night? I like something that has normal color temp but better "throw" if there is such a thing.

Also: any upgrades to FOG lights that are worth doing? (This one i am ok with going with LED bulbs, as I will only have them on actual rainy/foggy conditions during day and only on rural roads at night where I am NOT blinding anyone, so if the beam pattern is not perfect, it is ok in the case of fogs)
Illyria69

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Best/better conventional H13 and Fog replacement bulb

Postby bangster - February 14th, 2021, 3:02 pm

In the 9007 style I always liked the Philips Xtreme-Vision. No blue film to make them look whiter and cut light output. They also have "CrystalVision" but I think that is not what you are looking for, as they are "xenon look". They are not super long life, but they are also not short life (you won't be changing them out every year).

I don't think that the 9008/H13 is ground breakingly different than the 9007, it is a single bulb for high and low beam, but to be fair I haven't tried any of them in 9008.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6
Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby raysfan - February 17th, 2021, 1:15 am

Headlight: The Best conventional bulb is Sylvania ZXE GOLD. Two pack is big money. Mine have been installed 6 years so they last.

Fog light: check out my video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-EJFbL3VIQ

The LED I use in the video and show the part number for has been replaced with a newer part number. The newer LED has a black base instead of a chrome base and makes it appear burnout out in the daytime when the bulb is off. I overcame this by painting the black plastic base with "Liquid Chrome" paint - available in Hobby stores like Micheal's or Hobby Lobby-comes in a pen type dispenser. The bulb comes from Xexon Depot.com and the part number is PSX24W. You can look it up by make & model as well.
raysfan

E-C LEVEL 2

!

Postby Illyria69 - February 17th, 2021, 7:20 pm

raysfan wrote:
Fog light: check out my video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-EJFbL3VIQ

The LED I use in the video and show the part number for has been replaced with a newer part number. The newer LED has a black base instead of a chrome base and makes it appear burnout out in the daytime when the bulb is off. I overcame this by painting the black plastic base with "Liquid Chrome" paint - available in Hobby stores like Micheal's or Hobby Lobby-comes in a pen type dispenser. The bulb comes from Xexon Depot.com and the part number is PSX24W. You can look it up by make & model as well.

Thank you!
Is this the one I should get?

https://www.xenondepot.com/5202-cmb-led?quantity=1

PS: Your 3 YT videos re: interior LED swaps helped me a lot. Changed them last night, and quite a nice difference.
Like some ppl that commented on your YT video, I also pushed the bulb holder of the map lights right through while trying to push the LED into the bulb holder. I didn't take off the sunglass holder / switch panel part. Too hard and was afraid to break. I reached in through the headliner in front (you can pull it down easily) and pushed the whole thing back into place.
The cargo light converted to LED made the least difference, but I also didn't get the best bulb for it. Map/Dome I went with JDMAStar, which are pretty good LEDs. Went with something else for the cargo LED, cheaper, too.
Next are backup lights. Will do tomorrow or day after.

Did you ever convert the footwell and vanity mirror bulbs to LEDs?
Last edited by Illyria69 on February 17th, 2021, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illyria69

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Illyria69 - February 17th, 2021, 7:24 pm

bangster wrote:In the 9007 style I always liked the Philips Xtreme-Vision. No blue film to make them look whiter and cut light output. They also have "CrystalVision" but I think that is not what you are looking for, as they are "xenon look". They are not super long life, but they are also not short life (you won't be changing them out every year).

I don't think that the 9008/H13 is ground breakingly different than the 9007, it is a single bulb for high and low beam, but to be fair I haven't tried any of them in 9008.

Thank you - after researching some, XtremeVision H13 seems to be a good balance between light output and longevity. I do need to clean/polish my headlight housings, too.
Illyria69

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby RazoE - March 30th, 2021, 10:15 pm

I went with Mormioto 2 stroke H13 bulbs on my 2012, and GTR Lighting fog light bulbs. The only modification needed was to cut a tiny slot into the fog light housing. You can do it with a razor or knife, just be careful.

http://imgur.com/a/htAteDF

http://imgur.com/a/8aS5Z8j

http://imgur.com/a/vGhjmZp
RazoE

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2012 Ford Escape XLS FWD
My vehicle's name: Gerald

Return to Electrical Mods