2010 Escape 2.5 Gas - Coolant System Questions

Review and request part numbers here!

2010 Escape 2.5 Gas - Coolant System Questions

Postby Cruisin97 - July 5th, 2017, 8:09 am

Hi All,

Preparing to do cooling system maintenance and not having much success relating part numbers.

Lotsa questions as I am not used to a vehicle this new :)

Found hoses on RockAuto but their ford part numbers are nothing like the ones I can see on the factory hoses. Theirs start with 3L or 8M, mine are all 8L84 or 9L84.

Also couldn't find anything on the service manual CD.

Can someone tell me if these are all for the 2.5 gas engine, or point me to part number I can compare to mine? The first 2 look strange.

KM4746 - Connection pipe
KM4958 - Sub Tank
KM4962 - Upper
KM4991 - Bypass
KM4998 - Lower
KH657 - Heater inlet
KH658 - Heater outlet
KH4654 - Overflow

Also, planning to replace thermostat. Any thoughts on the Gates one that is half the price of the Motorcraft and comes with the gasket? The gasket for the Motorcraft one appears square and much larger.

Lastly, how critical is Motorcraft coolant? I'm thinking Prestone.
Cruisin97

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2010 Escape 2.5 Gas - Coolant System Questions

Postby 14theRoad - July 13th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Cruisin97 wrote:Hi All,

Preparing to do cooling system maintenance and not having much success relating part numbers.

Lotsa questions as I am not used to a vehicle this new :)

Found hoses on RockAuto but their ford part numbers are nothing like the ones I can see on the factory hoses. Theirs start with 3L or 8M, mine are all 8L84 or 9L84.

Also couldn't find anything on the service manual CD.

Can someone tell me if these are all for the 2.5 gas engine, or point me to part number I can compare to mine? The first 2 look strange.

KM4746 - Connection pipe
KM4958 - Sub Tank
KM4962 - Upper
KM4991 - Bypass
KM4998 - Lower
KH657 - Heater inlet
KH658 - Heater outlet
KH4654 - Overflow

Also, planning to replace thermostat. Any thoughts on the Gates one that is half the price of the Motorcraft and comes with the gasket? The gasket for the Motorcraft one appears square and much larger.

Lastly, how critical is Motorcraft coolant? I'm thinking Prestone.

Never worked on a 2010 escape or a four banger so I can'te tell you if that's all the hoses, however, the list description looks pretty complete. ;)

Where are you getting your prices from? ROCK Auto dot c o m is usually really competitive on the Motorcraft parts however, in this case yeah, motorcraft is pretty expensive. Looking at the pictures the gates and Motorcraft are interchangeable. http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford ... ostat,2200

Gates should be pretty competitive with regards to quality for the thermostat so I don't see a problem with selecting that one in this case. Hoses however I recommend sticking with Motorcraft. I've noticed with Ford hoses that the Aftermarket seems to cut corners with fit and overall feel of the part. The hoses from Motorcraft seem denser than the aftermarket counterparts.

Edit - Actually after more closely inspecting the design differences, there's a reason the Motorcraft is more expensive. IMO it will be more durable than the gates. Notice how the Motorcraft essentially has a thermostat built into the housing? All of the critical moving components are metal as they should be.

The Gates brand looks like they use the guts of thermostat and plastic support components. That means if one of the two little plastic legs that support the thermostat shaft breaks, you're thermostat is stuck closed and/or you end up with shrapnel in your cooling system! That leads to overheating at best, at worst you warp a head from it. And if you don't warp a head you still run the risk of a blockage in your cooling system from broken pieces.

I change my opinion, Pass on the Gates.
14theRoad

E-C LEVEL 6

Return to Part Numbers