Part number interchange, will it work?

Review and request part numbers here!

Part number interchange, will it work?

Postby Mazda0wner - April 14th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Hi all,

2008 Mazda Tribute 2.3L/auto/Fwd

Car was in a minor accident, but enough to give it airbag code B1231, meaning the Restraint Control Module is full of codes and therefore trash.

Anyway, the Ford part# on mine is 8L84-14B321-AK, my question is would it matter if I put the same part but revision -AH or -AJ in there?
Mazda0wner

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Part number interchange, will it work?

Postby 14theRoad - April 18th, 2019, 2:46 pm

The last letter or two usually indicates a revision or change has been made to the part. For the sake of revision - Higher letters like B, C, or D means they are the newest version available versus say A.

It also can sometimes mean that the option for that part is different from other similar looking parts. For example, in my 08 mustang, there are three different A/C vent actuators in four locations. Each part number is identical except for the last letter or two. The difference in this one little letter makes all the difference as to whether or not the lever that moves the vent, connects or not to specific actuator.

SO, the best thing to do is to be able to locate images of the part numbers online to see if they physically look the same. Even then, since it is a sensor the letter difference could indicate a difference in resistance or internal circuitry for vehicles with different options. You won't know unless you either A) try it or B) find fords parts listing for what version goes into what vehicle.
14theRoad

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby GPBoss - January 17th, 2020, 6:36 pm

8L84-14B321-AK is not a valid part number on https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/ . It looks like you may be looking at an engineering number on the actual part itself but it's not the OEM part number.
GPBoss

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby jaywish - January 17th, 2020, 10:59 pm

Just get the unit reset. Try craigslist or ebay or some other online service to hook up with someone. Last time I had one done in 2010 it was $40? there was sponsor advert poster on the baseball fence at a local park last summer.
12 Ford Escape AWD Limited Silver/Charcoal 302a, 17" wheels+Cooper CS5 ultra, Park Assist, Mods-> steps, 16" 6 spokes+Cooper Discoverer Sport M+S snows, Compustar Alarm/Remote Start, Husky floor & trunk liners, Centric front drilled, slotted, cryo rotors & Wagner OEX1047B pads.
89 Merc Grand Marquis Colony Park GTLS, Light Adobe/Tan, Mods = HO, Explorer intake, SS Duals, big brakes fore & aft, auto air shocks, posi, Hella H1's & H2's, 16" HPP rims, police sway, aluminum driveshaft, tranny cooler etc.
03 Merc Marauder DPB/Charcoal, HS, 6disk, spoiler, organizer Mods = M&Z control arms, oil deflector, SilverStars, U-Haul Tranny Pan
02 Mercedes SL500 Silver Arrow.
08 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited with HID's Mods = posi, Z rated Cooper 235/55-17 Zeon RS3-A tires, Addco 1" rear Sway, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter 05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
jaywish

E-C LEVEL 2
My nickname: Jay
My vehicle: 2012 Escape Limited Awd

Postby Mazda0wner - January 18th, 2020, 12:01 am

This post is from like a year ago, but yes I did end up just getting the unit reset by a seller on eBay. Plugged it in and used ForScan to reset everything and smooth sailing since.
Mazda0wner

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Part Numbers