Consolidated War Wagon build thread.

Post your pictures here!

Re: Spyder Headlights and Plasti-Dip wheels (Pic Heavy)

Postby Javafox - March 12th, 2014, 1:00 am

How do the headlights work compared to stock? Obviously, they look better, but I want to know if they perform better before I get them.
Javafox

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape XLT (Gold)

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby Meatloafmountain - March 12th, 2014, 1:17 am

Touringmike wrote:Looking good.

:thumb:

ExplorerTom wrote:First set of plasti-dipped wheels I like.

sevegas wrote:Looks good! :thumb:

escape05xls wrote:Looks really good! The guards bring me back to the Explorers in JP :) My first time seeing them....and falling in love with the look.

FRENCHY wrote:This E looks pretty good :thumb: well done :thumb:

Sounds like you dip your garage wall too :shades: :hyst: :thumb:

Thanks, guys. I absolutely love my E. I think it's the perfect Alaskan "adventure" vehicle (though in many ways, I miss my '97 Exploder).

Frenchy, that bay was in an Auto Hobby Shop on Fort Richardson. It was space specifically dedicated for such activities :P Not my marks!

Javafox wrote:How do the headlights work compared to stock? Obviously, they look better, but I want to know if they perform better before I get them.

Mine don't seem to give the general illumination that the stock lights did, but they probably need to be re-aimed. It's also probable that like my first day driving with Michelin Xis, I'm simply not used to them. While they don't light up the same manner as stock, I think they give a more "3D' coverage from left to right, and at oddly high angles.

...now that I'm thinking about it, I hope I'm not blinding the *s**** out of everyone.
* Blackhorse Grilleguard - Blackhorse Taillight Guards - Plasti-Dipped stock wheels - Plasti-Dipped grille - Spyder Headlights - Dawn Bodyside Molding - LED light bar - Ford Spoiler - Debadged - LED foglights - Tribute taillights - WeatherTech Lampguard Covers - Plasti-Dipped gas door - front air dam removed - TrailFX Rear Bumper Guard - No Boundaries Roof Rack

* WeatherTech Floor and Cargo mats - Saddleman Seat Covers - various Plasti-Dipped interior pieces - Greyman Tactical MOLLE boards

* Magnaflow exhaust - AEM Brute Force filter

* front strut tower bar - Moog Front Sway Bars - KYB Struts - H&R 1 inch Lift Springs, Front & Back - KONI Rear Shocks

* Optima Yellow Top battery

UpComing Mods / Repairs / Projects:
The Retrofit Source 2nd Gen Fog Light Thread | FTS 4X4 Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arm

Consolidated War Wagon Build Thread
Off Roading Thread
YouTube Offroading Channel
Meatloafmountain

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2012 Ford Escape XLT V6 AWD
My vehicle's name: War Wagon

Postby Touringmike - March 12th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Meatloafmountain wrote:Mine don't seem to give the general illumination that the stock lights did, but they probably need to be re-aimed. It's also probable that like my first day driving with Michelin Xis, I'm simply not used to them. While they don't light up the same manner as stock, I think they give a more "3D' coverage from left to right, and at oddly high angles.

...now that I'm thinking about it, I hope I'm not blinding the *s**** out of everyone.

I don't know if I talked about this in the messages we exchanged, but as far as aiming goes;
I ended up setting mine while parked 5 ft from my garage door. I marked my OEM lights on the door,
then aimed the spyders to the same settings. High beams are good, in fact fantastic, compared to OEM.
Low beams were way too low. 3 settings later, with the low beams set 2" higher and the drive side to the left 1" more
than the OEMs, I have great lighting, equal to or better than the OEM without blinding on-comers.

In your case, this is probably too late to adjust, but it gave me good results.
There are people on here who talk about putting HID units in, in place of the H1 standard bulbs,
but I don't recall seeing any pics of this.
ImageImage
Touringmike

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: '11 Limited (gone) '19 EdgeST

Postby Meatloafmountain - March 12th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Touringmike wrote:
I don't know if I talked about this in the messages we exchanged, but as far as aiming goes;
I ended up setting mine while parked 5 ft from my garage door. I marked my OEM lights on the door,
then aimed the spyders to the same settings. High beams are good, in fact fantastic, compared to OEM.
Low beams were way too low. 3 settings later, with the low beams set 2" higher and the drive side to the left 1" more
than the OEMs, I have great lighting, equal to or better than the OEM without blinding on-comers.

In your case, this is probably too late to adjust, but it gave me good results.
There are people on here who talk about putting HID units in, in place of the H1 standard bulbs,
but I don't recall seeing any pics of this.

I've been meaning to thank you for taking the time and trying to explain a lot of what goes on with putting these headlights in on your own. However, my schedule just didn't really give me time to devote the afternoon I would require to get it.

I've been pondering using a garage door at night to try and aim them.
* Blackhorse Grilleguard - Blackhorse Taillight Guards - Plasti-Dipped stock wheels - Plasti-Dipped grille - Spyder Headlights - Dawn Bodyside Molding - LED light bar - Ford Spoiler - Debadged - LED foglights - Tribute taillights - WeatherTech Lampguard Covers - Plasti-Dipped gas door - front air dam removed - TrailFX Rear Bumper Guard - No Boundaries Roof Rack

* WeatherTech Floor and Cargo mats - Saddleman Seat Covers - various Plasti-Dipped interior pieces - Greyman Tactical MOLLE boards

* front strut tower bar - Moog Front Sway Bars - KYB Struts - H&R 1 inch Lift Springs, Front & Back - KONI Rear Shocks

The Retrofit Source 2nd Gen Fog Light Thread | FTS 4X4 Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arm

Off Roading Thread
Meatloafmountain

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby gapcomputer - March 13th, 2014, 1:23 pm

great job :thumb:
gapcomputer

E-C LEVEL 2
My nickname: gap computer
My vehicle: Ford Escape 2003 xls
My vehicle's name: Black Beauty

Postby Cusefan1978 - March 13th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Those spyder lights look great. How bad are they to put in. I'm Assuming you have to drop the bumper and grill?!
Cusefan1978

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Escape94 - March 13th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Your E keeps looking better and better! :rockon:

Cusefan1978 wrote:Those spyder lights look great. How bad are they to put in. I'm Assuming you have to drop the bumper and grill?!

Yes the bumper and grille would need to be removed since one of the side mounts is hidden behind the bumper. There are youtube videos of the install though.

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks, OPT 7 auxiliary pods
R.I.P 6/15/2017 :(
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2017 Subaru Forester XT

Postby Meatloafmountain - March 13th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Escape94 wrote:Your E keeps looking better and better! :rockon:

Cusefan1978 wrote:Those spyder lights look great. How bad are they to put in. I'm Assuming you have to drop the bumper and grill?!

Yes the bumper and grille would need to be removed since one of the side mounts is hidden behind the bumper. There are youtube videos of the install though.

Actually, if you take off the part of the grille guard that blocks the headlights and loosen the bumper, you can get away with it. Takes some ninja action that I'm not privy to.

Off Roading Thread
Meatloafmountain

E-C LEVEL 6

Re: Weathertec floors mats and Saddleman seat covers (pics)

Postby RickWakeman - March 13th, 2014, 10:55 pm

I have the weathertec floor mats and they are really great. How do you clean them though? I tried dish soap and a sponge and it seemed to wear away the finish and left white streaks.
RickWakeman

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!

Re: Weathertec floors mats and Saddleman seat covers (pics)

Postby Meatloafmountain - March 14th, 2014, 12:53 am

RickWakeman wrote:I have the weathertec floor mats and they are really great. How do you clean them though? I tried dish soap and a sponge and it seemed to wear away the finish and left white streaks.

I spray them down at a car wash :D

Off Roading Thread
Meatloafmountain

E-C LEVEL 6

PreviousNext

Return to Pictures