17K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ramprat15 
#1 ·
TSB 05-20-12

10/17/05

SEAT MATERIAL - BLACK THREADS FRAYING

FORD:
2005 Escape

ISSUE
Some 2005 Escape XLT and XLT Sport vehicles built prior to July 19, 2004, may exhibit premature wear of the cloth seat covers under normal vehicle usage. This wear appears as fraying/shredding of the black threads within the patterned center insert portion of the seat cover.

ACTION
Inspect for obvious signs of abuse that are not warrantable repairs such as burns, soil marks, cuts, scuffs, tears or punctures, etc. If the seat cover is not damaged due to abuse and the material shows evidence of the black threads fraying/shredding, replace the affected seat cover as described in section 501-10 of the Workshop Manual.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO.: 7862900
CONDITION CODE: 30

OASIS CODES: 101000, 107000

See less See more
#5 ·
My 2013 is fraying. Took it to the dealer and Ford is going to replace it. But WHY WHY WHY! I've had cars 10 years old with cloth seats that were just fine.

I have heard its because they are using recycled materials. Is there any truth to this?

#7 ·
I notice this is an older thread, but also see very little (absent) discussion of what has been experienced for repairs.
I have an 05 Escape that has these seat cover material, and 3-4 of the seats show this exact thread fraying. Silver with black threads. Nice quality cover over all, and I've had it since '14-15. I read about this earlier, but never posted. I'm going to print this out and, now that I have retired with time, can move on to address this with Ford.
Any other folks have updates for this TSB?

Thanks for reading, look forward to a reply.

Joel in the Couve :peace:

#8 ·
!! BUMP !!
I got in touch with my local dealer, and they hadn't even heard about the TSB by the numbers listed here. I wrote to Ford, and they didn't recognize the numbers either. Was the previous information wrong?

#9 ·
This was a TSB, not a recall. You will not get new seat covers unless the vehicle is under the new vehicle warranty (which would no longer apply to any affected vehicles.) Note this language in the TSB:

"Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.