01-04 Escape recall for rust belt states 14S02 RECALL

Official Ford recalls and TSBs!

Re: 01-04 Escape recall for rust belt states 14S02 RECALL

Postby JB3 - May 22nd, 2015, 11:27 pm

snextime wrote:Image
JB3 wrote:What does this new part look like? Anyone have any pics?

Interesting, thanks for this pic! So all it is is a straight brace? The woman made it sound like the whole engine cradle is being replaced
JB3

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby JB3 - June 1st, 2015, 3:47 pm

Had the recall performed. This disconcerning comment was written on my paperwork-

"Inspected subframe, subframe is pretty rotted but is not seperated at this time which passes"
JB3

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Shepp - July 22nd, 2015, 7:39 am

JB3 wrote:Had the recall performed. This disconcerning comment was written on my paperwork-

"Inspected subframe, subframe is pretty rotted but is not seperated at this time which passes"

That concerns me.. I'm due to have mine looked at and I know I have some rust holes. I'll be pretty upset if somebody decides it doesn't need it. I know it won't pass a safety inspection like that. The rest of the underside looks pretty decent just the subframe. I posted this picture on a different thread but I figured it was worth posting here as well

03 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 V6
03 Jaguar X-Type Sport 3.0
Shepp

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My nickname: Shepp
My vehicle: 2003 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 V6
My vehicle's name: Fiona

Postby Shepp - July 30th, 2015, 6:18 pm

I have the subframe off my escape and today I decided I would take it to my local Ford dealer to see what the service manager would say about it. I took my recall notice and explained what I was trying to accomplish. I wanted to see if they would replace it. I realize they wouldn't just give me one, I would have to put it back on the vehicle, bring the vehicle in, and then let them decide.

He explained to me that Ford wants to see separation of the control arms in order to replace it, which instantly :censor: me off. I said, "So you mean to tell me, I need to wait for this to break, possibly wrecking my car and possibly killing me in order to get a new subframe? At that point I think the subframe is irrelevant." He got defensive and I told him I understood it wasn't his fault. He continued to tell me that it needs to meet the criteria laid out in a packet he had in his hand and then he needs to send pictures to some higher up to decide my fate. Only after I jump through those hoops can I get a new subframe. The bottom line is, Ford wants to see separation. He had it in front of me in black and white.

I told him I could probably break it right now if he wanted and he made the comment, "That might just break when it goes back in."
Read into it however you want, that subframe is rusted right out. My mechanic tells me he wouldn't pass it for a safety inspection and I can't blame him. I refuse to drive it in that condition.

So now my dilemma is, do I weld it up myself? Or do I wait to see if the rust fairy puts a new subframe under my pillow? :whistle:
03 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 V6
03 Jaguar X-Type Sport 3.0
Shepp

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My nickname: Shepp
My vehicle: 2003 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 V6
My vehicle's name: Fiona

Postby TVH - January 3rd, 2016, 10:47 pm

I have an 02 escape with the rust problem, unfortunately I had it professionally repaired a day or 2 before I learned there was a recall. I spent 1000$ at a local frame shop in holland mi, they welded a new front control arm mount in place because the old mount had rusted thru and cracked, the whole front wheel assembly was about to come off. I noticed it had a terrible camber and that caused me to investigate. When learning of the recall I talked with my local dealer and they assured me Ford would reimburse me for the expense and that they still needed to inspect the car and perform the recall. They also said they didn't have parts at the time so I waited until they did. My wife brought the car in for the recall and got a real run around, they demanded the original invoice for the repair and not a copy, they acted like that invoice would determine whether or not they would even perform the recall work on the car. When we provided the invoice they took the car, then said they couldn't do the recall and told us we were on our own and good luck getting any money from Ford. So here is sit, had the frame failed and someone got hurt there would have been a lawsuit, I paid to fix the car when it sounds as if the recall would have done the job. I'm really frustrated with the Ford dealer here in Holland and Ford motor co. Do I have any recourse? I can't believe the dealer would let the car go with out performing the recall. Any help here would be great.
TVH

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby MadMax - January 4th, 2016, 2:30 am

I would get a 2nd opinion from another dealer or go directly to Ford
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0T AWD, Sport Appearance Package, Panoramic Sunroof
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 20

Postby sham63 - April 6th, 2016, 8:49 pm

I did not hear about this recall at all. I traded in my 04 Escape yesterday at a Ford dealer and I was informed that there was rust through in the subframe. It was also rusted through in the rear, which I don't know if this recall also covered. The sales guy told me they know to look for it, so they could only give me $800 for it. I am just glad something did not give way on one of our trips to visit the inlaws in 'Bama. I bought it used in 08, but we used the local Ford dealer for repairs and parts. I am just surprised we were never informed of this recall. But then this is the same dealer that charged us $600 to replace the crappy Focus ignition switch when it broke. Then when it broke again 4 or so years later, they wanted to take us for $400. I called a locksmith for that one.
sham63

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Rob M - April 9th, 2016, 10:21 pm

sham63,

Where do you live? Only Escapes originally sold or currently registered in "Rust Belt" states would have been subject to the recall. Ford didn't notify all owners; just the ones in those states. And, there's no guarantee they were able to reach all non-original owners in those states, and they probably didn't bother to recall vehicles that were transferred from the salty states to those that aren't. I had the recall modification done even though the subframe was in pretty decent condition.
Rob M

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby sham63 - April 11th, 2016, 4:55 pm

I am in Columbus, Ohio. I checked the vin on Ford's site, and it also shows no recalls on it. Just glad I traded it in before something bad happened.
sham63

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby BratmanXj - August 29th, 2017, 3:10 pm

I've asked elsewhere on for forum (https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40737) About replacement subframes and installation. Does anyone here have information on Fitment of later model 05-07 subframe in early models 01-04? Anyone found decent instruction on replacing the subframe?
BratmanXj

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Previous

Return to Recalls and TSBs