TSB 10-18-10 2005-2006 Escape COP / PCM Ignition

Official Ford recalls and TSBs!

TSB 10-18-10 2005-2006 Escape COP / PCM Ignition

Postby zannequin - April 13th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Hello all,

Has anyone posted about this technical service bulletin? I searched but did not find anything. My 05 escape started intermittently missing the other day. I read the codes and found a P0303 code indicating the 3rd cylinder was the problem. I read some information about the wire loom being possibly bad and found the TSB but thought i would press on since the TSB says to fix any other codes first. I pulled apart the intake, replaced the coil on plug for cylinder number three, cleared codes, fired it up and thought Great!, that is it. Seemed to be running fine. Then I put it in reverse to test drive it and did not even get out of the driveway before it stalled. Then I thought, great... that is not good. It fired back up but with consistent miss and rough idle. I pulled the new codes and got a P0352, P0354, and P0355. Now I am in TSB territory and looking at a new PCM plus all COP replace.

Has anyone purchased a cardon PCM pre-flashed with any luck?

Has anyone gone to the dealer to flash their PCM and if yes, how did you get there since the motor will not start until it is programed?

The shop quoted $2k to perform the work but the parts are around $600 for DIY. If this gets to be any more money it might become for sale "as is"

Interested in other's experiences. Thanks.
zannequin

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: TSB 10-18-10 2005-2006 Escape COP / PCM Ignition

Postby thesavo - April 16th, 2018, 12:06 pm

According to the TSB, First you need to replace all the Coil-on-Plugs. At $40 each from rockauto, that is a $240 +tax +shipping. Just to find out that that the PCM might be the issue, is a bit of an expense. The TSB said it can confirm the problem is with the PCM with an "o-smello-scope" test, using a ford IDS. Failing this "Escape Driver test" is what condemns the PCM. I don't have an IDS, i don't think that Forscan is able to do this yet. Perhaps if you can find a dealer to do it on the cheap, or a locksmith with a full IDS.

Do a web search for "escape PCM driver test" or "escape driver test"

maybe these can help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdaQHdk51J4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho3Kyps2i34 - in this he shows a 4 cylinder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr4IP2oaQFY - has the TSB in the description, PCM was replaced and flashed. This had bad coils

Link to the TSB for future visitors
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/attachm ... -pdf.3226/
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2008 Mariner Base

Postby zannequin - April 22nd, 2018, 10:51 pm

Thanks for the information.

Looked at this site as recommended http://www.bbbind.com/free-tsb/ and found lots of good information there including the actual TSB. Also looked up my f150 just for fun to see how many TSBs there are for that. Lucky for me there are none for the ignition on it.

I watched some of the videos, one was very good and prompted me to order the noid test lights. I did and while I cannot test 1-3 because they are under the intake manifold, I was able to see the light on 5 and 6. cylinder 4, however, has no light, no ground to the PCM. As a last step verification, I tested the wire itself for conductivity from the connector to the PCM wire termination and it was a good wire.

My PCM has failed and I am not planning to replace all six plugs, all six COP, and get a new PCM from flagship one. They flash it to your vin and provide pats keys for an "affordable" price considering ford's unprogrammed part is ~$1500.

I will let everyone know how it goes if you are interested.

Thank you,
zannequin

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby thesavo - April 23rd, 2018, 5:30 am

Yes. Please keep the thread going when you have more information. Thanks for the alternate url for revbase.com

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby zannequin - May 3rd, 2018, 11:00 pm

Hello Everyone,

$700 later, my Escape is back on the road. I took the time to replace the spark plugs even though I had replaced them just 40k miles ago with ford platinums (again). I also replaced all the coil on plugs as the TSB requires with new motorcraft units. The part numbers are almost the same as my originals except for a few digits (8m2e-12a366-aa for the new 6 COP and ?L8E-12A366-AC for the old). The computer from the company I found was a ford remanufactured part (I guess they fix them?) with a ford sticker and two PATS keys that required cutting. I have taken the intake manifold off several times now and have got my time down to about two hours to replace all of the equipment (30 minutes extra the following night when the computer arrived. My local Ace hardware cut the car's profile in the two new keys they provided which are programed to the reman'ed computer.

I performed the ford programing procedure waiting three seconds in the on position for each key before cranking the engine. It started right up and ran without issue. I then test drove it around my neighborhood in case I had to push it home... It ran fine. I had to visit the grocery store so I took it there and back without issue. I do think the vehicle is fixed at this point and supposedly the new coils have a radio / electrical suppression design different from the originals to prevent the damaging backfeed into the new computer.

It still upsets me this design flaw exists and I was NOT excited to pay $700 but it was WAY better than paying ~$2,000 to someone else to do it, having car payments, or having a junk escape in my garage.

At this point I will keep the vehicle and drive it until the wheels fall off again (already replaced both front wheel bearings and the driver's side CV Axle... Still going :-).

I hope my story helps others.
zannequin

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby tomw - September 6th, 2018, 9:51 am

For those who come later... and need a new/re-man ECM... Makuloco has a procedure that allows use of an ECM without having it 'zeroed out' by FoMoCo. The gist of it is to indicate to the programming machine that the module will not communicate... and thus cannot retrieve the VIN information... go along with that, and then 'turn on' the ECM and let it get programmed as if it was the previous 'dummy'. I have ZERO experience doing this sort of thing, so take these words with a grain of salt.
Ford said you cannot use a used ECM unless it has been cleared and 'refurbished'(insert joke here) at a cost for $xyz. Makuloco does just that using an un-cleared ECM. Note, I think he has a recent video up(youtube) on his channel about not using a used ECM, but don't bet the farm.
So far I have not had this set of problems, so only report anecdotally.
tom
tomw

E-C LEVEL 10
My nickname: tom
My vehicle: 07 mariner 2wd v6
My vehicle's name: moby the white whale

Postby thesavo - September 6th, 2018, 11:08 am

tomw wrote:For those who come later... and need a new/re-man ECM... Makuloco has a procedure that allows use of an ECM without having it 'zeroed out' by FoMoCo. The gist of it is to indicate to the programming machine that the module will not communicate... and thus cannot retrieve the VIN information... go along with that, and then 'turn on' the ECM and let it get programmed as if it was the previous 'dummy'. I have ZERO experience doing this sort of thing, so take these words with a grain of salt.
Ford said you cannot use a used ECM unless it has been cleared and 'refurbished'(insert joke here) at a cost for $xyz. Makuloco does just that using an un-cleared ECM. Note, I think he has a recent video up(youtube) on his channel about not using a used ECM, but don't bet the farm.
So far I have not had this set of problems, so only report anecdotally.
tom
This video?

https://youtu.be/Hhk7Wg0i3KE

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 6

Return to Recalls and TSBs