Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

What did you do to your Escape today?

133K views 679 replies 91 participants last post by  MTNEscaped 
#1 ·
I think it's time we started this thread. Is it what it sounds like.

What did you do today? Oil change, drove cross country, drove to grab some dinner, etc...

Today I unloaded my Escape from a road trip. I just put about 1,000 miles on it driving to Seattle and back. Took my family on a little vacation. Did the Space Needle, Zoo, etc. Got a City Pass.

Car ran like a champ. Apparently my battery lost a cell while I was out. We stayed at a KOA campground and on the last day, I turned the key...click click click. I know that it wasn't my alternator at least, monitored it on my UltraGauge the whole drive.

Stopped at 2 auto parts places and had it checked. Confirmed at both. I just grabbed a new 84 month and dropped it in. The old one was from Jan 08.

#654 ·
It was not today but was on Saturday I made a trip to the local Pep Boys to get the darn 9mm allen wrench I needed & replaced the front brake pads.

#658 ·
thesavo said:
SNJEscape said:
It was not today but was on Saturday I made a trip to the local Pep Boys to get the darn 9mm allen wrench I needed & replaced the front brake pads.
What do have an 08, or 09?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#660 ·
7-pin hookup.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#662 ·
Pics of install?

#664 ·
Today I learned you only need a $4 spring loaded punch from harbor freight to remove the sheer bolt for the ignition lock module.

No need for a rotary tool. I'll try a 9L84 switch from the junk yard before I get a new ignition lock module for $150

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#665 ·
I've been performing lots of little maintenance jobs that get put off during the winter. I recently had new struts/shocks/springs installed and my E now rides like a new car :yes: so, I'm going over the car and repairing/replacing/touching-up everything that needs it. It's a job I enjoy anyway, but now that my E feels new again I'm especially motivated

It's strange, I'm really hot to get a newer E, but I've never had a car for so long (8 years) that still gives me such good service that I can't part with it. It's a good problem to have :)

#666 ·
Since our 08 Escape is a spare vehicle my wife or I will drive it once a week to keep it running in case I need to do a repair on our 99 Explorer Sport, or my 00 Ranger 4x4 that will tie them up for more then a weekend or if a problem arises during the week. Well last week I took the Escape to work for its weekly drive, on the way home the ABS & the traction control lights came on, after some searching on line the conclusion is a broken ABS tone ring. So today I am off from work so I jacked up the r/s front to check & sure enough the tone ring on the r/s front axle is broken & just spinning on the axle. I replaced the the ring on the l/s axle 5 years ago, so now it is time to do the r/s axle tone ring.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/members/ ... 1567-a.jpg

#667 ·
Update: Today I completed the replacement of the ABS tone ring on the r/s front axle shaft. I took it for a ride, & as soon as I got it over 10 mph the ABS light went out & I drove it for about 20 minutes & all seems fine.

#668 ·
Today I did the following:
- Drain and fill 3 1/2 quarts of Mercon V in the CD4E transmission
- Rotated the tires. I will probably need new front Snow tire and an alignment. This pair is wearing unevenly and are starting to crack. I will be lucky if they pass inspections
- Clean the windows.

Tomorrow i will be doing the following
- PTU/4x4 fluid change. I already have a quart of Synthetic 75w-140 Gear oil for this.
- Rear Differential change. I got 2 quarts of regular 80w-90 gear oil for this, and clear silicone RTV to make a new gasket.
- Run reduant wires for steering wheel audio control. Time permitting.

#669 ·
I am doing the PTU and rear end in my...Fusion (sorry, Escape is FWD) as it is blowing big globs of gear oil out the vent at the top.

I was surprised how hard it is to find non Royal Purple Synthetic 80w90 (actually no one sells it in quart jugs), semi synthetic, conventional, or 75w90 synthetic.

#670 ·
bangster said:
I am doing the PTU and rear end in my...Fusion (sorry, Escape is FWD) as it is blowing big globs of gear oil out the vent at the top.

I was surprised how hard it is to find non Royal Purple Synthetic 80w90 (actually no one sells it in quart jugs), semi synthetic, conventional, or 75w90 synthetic.
I didn't care if I got synthetic 80w-90 for the rear diff since most auto parts stores only sold conventional. Although, since you have to make a gasket with Clear RTV, synthetic would last longer. Advance auto sold Synthetic 75w-140 which is what is called for in the PTU.

#671 ·
The rain came earlier than expected. I only got the ptu/transfer case fluid changed. The rear Differential will have to wait for another day.

I should take care of some of the rust. But that is a story for another day. At 188,870 miles, the transmission got 3 1/2 Quarts, the Ptu got 12 ish ounces, and the tires got rotated. Though, I probably need new front snow tires. The grease boots on the tie rod ends and stabilizer links seemed pretty packed from the spring.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#672 ·
Got new lights put in.

LEDs for the fogs.
Rigid lightbar.
HIDs for headlights.
Rear LED reverse lights.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#673 ·
what did i do to my escape today..........

it is more like what did my escape do to me today.......

for the past 2 months i have been wrestling with the dreaded no crank, no start issue.
so i let the car rest for 2 days while i researched yet more possible scenarios for repair. i am beginning to suspect the PCM as it is the controlled ground signal from it that completes the circuit to energize the starter relay and engage the starter.

my issue in a nutshell is that the starter relay is not getting energized to switch the power from the battery to the starter.

for more information: https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74226

#674 ·
Oil change today. 196,573 miles on my 2008 mariner v6 base. Also changed my pcv valve.

I had bought one a few years ago to replace when I did spark plugs. After inhibitions, and misplacements, the moons aligned and was able to replace it without removing the upper intake.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#675 ·
Had a noise in the r/s front which turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. I removed the knuckle & took it to a local machine shop to have the old one pressed out & a new one pressed in. I am going to re-install the knuckle tomorrow.

#676 ·
Picked up the knuckle from the machine shop yesterday after work & installed it today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.