2012 XLT Without Remote Keyless Entry???

Talk about anything related to your Escape, Mariner, Tribute, Maverick!

2012 XLT Without Remote Keyless Entry???

Postby HornetRider - January 7th, 2021, 12:49 pm

I recently acquired a 2012 XLT with drivers door keypad entry, but it only came (third owner) with two "regular" keys (I believe PATS?). They are Ford keys, and appear to be the chip kind. No integrated key/remote (IKR) keys nor any standalone remote fobs.

When I called around to get remote keyless added, local aftermarket installers told me they had never seen one without remote keyless, was I looking to add remote start? They indicated it should be just a matter of getting and programming a remote key/fob, yet when I called the local Ford dealer with my VIN, they indicated it would over $1000 to add a complete Ford remote system keyless system. When I found the 2012 order guides here, it indicates keyless remote is standard on XLS, so it should be on my XLT, same as the aftermarket guys said.

So, scratching my head and wondering:

1) How can I verify that my vehicle has the remote receiver? Or is it "unpossible" for it to not have it since it was std equipment.

2) Can I just add "fobs" for remote lock/unlock? That's my preference unless it's a lot heavier lifting than #3.

3) I'm thinking I should be able to add, or have the dealer add, a third key, but an IKR, which is not my preference as I had a 2010 Fusion with them and prefer the key/fob combination (had a Ranger with that combo). From the reading I did here, sounds like this would require two original keys, which I think I have, but can I verify that somehow if I end up having to go this route.

TIA!
2012 Escape XLT 2.5L I4 FWD
HornetRider

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2012 Escape XLT FWD 2.5L

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2012 XLT Without Remote Keyless Entry???

Postby bangster - January 7th, 2021, 1:03 pm

It has remote entry. You can easily find on eBay for cheap a remote and easily program it in.

I have such a setup for my 2012 Fusion with also has the IKT.

I did go through my assortment of various remotes and none of the ones I had worked for my Fusion (mostly older 1996-2000 vehicles) so I did have to buy one.

Since what I got is an aftermarket one, and the case is generic (and I changed it to a red one to color code my cars) I don't know what FCC ID or Ford number to look for.

This is my current key lineup, I like the simple PATS key and separate remote fob for some situations. I usually use the flip key, but keep the key and remote tethered in my fanny pack, and with the pandemic and washing stuff it is working out great.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby bangster - January 7th, 2021, 1:12 pm

I think I got 2 fobs for $6 off eBay. Programming a separate key fob is as simple as getting into programming mode and pressing a button on the remote:
Turn the ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times, within 10 seconds. End on RUN the last time to enter programming mode.
At this point, the door locks will lock and unlock. If this doesn’t happen, start over and turn the key faster. Unless the door locks cycle between lock and unlock, you may not have keyless entry.
Within 8 seconds, push any button on your Ford remote to begin programming. The door locks will again cycle, which confirms keyless entry is good to go and ready to use.
If you have a second remote key fob, take that Ford remote and press any button within 8 seconds to begin the door lock cycle. Repeat for any other key fobs you have.
When you have programmed all of your Ford key fobs, turn the ignition to OFF. The door locks will cycle one last time to confirm programming completion.

The IKT do not program that way. They remote entry programs at the same time you program in the PATS antitheft. As long as the 2 keys you currently have are not clones, then if you wanted to add an IKT, you probably can as long as it doesn't already have 8 (or 6, or 4, the number varies) easily.
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5

Postby HornetRider - January 7th, 2021, 2:00 pm

Bangster, thanks so much!

That is what I was hoping the answer was and will be looking for a couple eBay fobs shortly. IKT's are ok, but I prefer the separate fobs, just personal preference, and that they are cheaper and easier is just gravy on top.

ETA: Quite the collection you've got there! :yes:
HornetRider

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby HornetRider - January 11th, 2021, 12:01 am

Quick update... my remote fobs came in, literally one minute to program them, 8x off to on with the ignition, and I'm in business!

THANKS!
HornetRider

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby HornetRider - January 11th, 2021, 1:04 pm

I decided to try out the range on the fobs. Parked out in the open, unobstructed, the fobs worked every time at 70 long strides away! That's about 200 ft, give or take! At 80 paces, it was about 50/50.

I'm a happy camper!
HornetRider

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby bangster - January 11th, 2021, 2:10 pm

Good to hear you got them, programed, and are happy with the distance. I used to always install an aftermarket RKE/alarm/remote start on all my vehicles, even if they came with RKE from the factory. I think I just have lessened my requirements, they are not all that great distance wise, especially through walls. I don't expect 1/4 mile like my 2 way remote start has, but through 2 walls or as important through 4 or 5 cars would be nice.
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5

Return to Tailgate Chat