Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Bad News All Around

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  TributeLove 
#1 ·
Hi I have a 2005 Ford Escape and recently found out I need new engine mounts transmission mounts and my lifters are going bad and I need new tires and brakes in the front and rear and new disc in the front.

Is it worth it to put all the time and money in to it or should I just try selling it as is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
If you doo the work yourself thats only a few hundred for parts and a couple days work, plus the tires. You can get decent used tires if money is an issue, but tires are a personal thing, some have very strong opinions on tires lol.

Anything that supposedly fixes everything and comes in a can are generally best left on the shelf, they work well right there. If theres a problem then fix it. Are you sure its lifter noise? Thats not a high mileage engine, but anythings possible. Is the noise constant, only at startup or only when hot. It could even be an exhaust leak, sometimes they can fool you.

#9 ·
mailtime said:
I need new engine mounts transmission mounts and my lifters are going bad and I need new tires and brakes in the front and rear and new disc in the front.
Sounds like it needs some work - but prioritize over time.

Engine and transmission mounts are not urgent - unless you need a certificate for them to keep driving. Just drive smoothly (slow off the mark and no towing heavy loads). Get the faulty one/ones replaced when you can afford it - shop around for best price.

Lifters - the engine still runs don't it? Not a safety issue! Get thicker oil - not too thick though! Smoke and oil leaks are problems - does it qualify for oil leaks and smoke - if not, who cares?

Tires I would spend money on, shop around.

Your brakes still work, but get the front disks and pads replaced, shop around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.