2008 FEH - AC issues

Finally, a forum for E/M/T Hybrid owners? What a concept!

2008 FEH - AC issues

Postby jiggeroni - November 9th, 2019, 12:33 pm

I have a 2008 FEH with roughly 140k miles on it, bought it used 6 years ago when it had about 70k miles.

I am having problems with the air conditioner. Near end of August I noticed the AC was very weak on short drives and didn't cool the car down. Today I noticed when sitting in the car diagnosing another minor issue i had the AC on, ECON button OFF, and the engine cut off...? Its not supposed to do that and has never done that. With the ECON button off and the AC on the EV should never take over it should keep the ICE on..

I'm guessing at this point I just need to take it into a Ford dealer but I feel as if they wont know exactly the issue and are going to charge me and arm and a leg and it still not be fixed since these systems are so finicky.
jiggeroni

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2008 FEH - AC issues

Postby Jay2TheRescue - November 10th, 2019, 12:06 am

I had a similar problem with mine. Short drives or driving in slow city traffic it didn't work, but worked great on the highway. Was the scroll valve in the compressor. If you have the ability/skill to work on your a/c system yourself, the part is about $30, and not hard to replace. You have to evacuate all the freon out of the system first though.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby feh2goup - December 19th, 2019, 4:00 pm

The engine will shut off even with econ off, but less often than with econ on. At least this is true for the 2009.

Over the years I have had to replace almost every part of my feh's a/c system. Very$$$. The underbody a/c lines to the cargo area have had to be replaced twice. $2000 each time.
2009 Escape Hybrid Limited AWD, Black, bought Jan.2013
- replaced ambient temperature sensor
- replaced two hvac blend door acutators
- updated SYNC software
- replaced water pump
- brake job
- replaced steering column
- replaced TPMS sensor
- multiple rear hatch water leaks fixed
- rattle in dashboard resolved as loose bolt in steering column coupler
- replaced underbody a/c lines to rear hvac
- replaced backup sensor
- replaced sway bar links
- replaced one outer tie rod (105,000 miles)
- replaced right front wheel bearing
- replaced ball joints
- another brake job
- replaced a/c condenser
- replaced tailgate latch
- replaced tailgate support struts
- replaced underbody a/c lines to rear hvac (2nd time, $2000 each time)
- replaced driver door keypad
- replaced another outer tie rod
- replaced a/c compressor
- replaced hatch glass hinges
- replaced hatch wiper arm and attachment hardware
feh2goup

E-C LEVEL 5

Postby zaina1 - June 27th, 2020, 9:59 am

I bought 2nd hand 2008 FEH in Dubai. After some days I faced problem with ac. I couldn't contact car company so I contacted <a href="https://handyman-dubai.com/ac-maintenance-dubai">ac maintenance in Dubai</a> and they fixed my problem.
zaina1

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby jiggeroni - July 9th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Jay2TheRescue wrote:I had a similar problem with mine. Short drives or driving in slow city traffic it didn't work, but worked great on the highway. Was the scroll valve in the compressor. If you have the ability/skill to work on your a/c system yourself, the part is about $30, and not hard to replace. You have to evacuate all the freon out of the system first though.

You were right. Took it to the stealership they quoted me $1800 to replace the compressor.... I told them to kick rocks. About the same time Fordtechmakuloco posted exact video on the scroll valve.

Paid firestone $99 to evac my AC and then refill it once i was done. Did it in my driveway with out even having to lift up the vehicle it was a little cramped under there and the gasket was finicky so took longer than it should have but eventually got it.

AC blows ICE cold now

Video for anyone else interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N-37L2TEmw
jiggeroni

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Hybrid Green Zone