Battery Replacement

Finally, a forum for E/M/T Hybrid owners? What a concept!

Re: Battery Replacement

Postby feh2goup - April 24th, 2020, 3:16 am

Jay2TheRescue wrote:
MAX_LT wrote:
Jay2TheRescue wrote:.... I upgraded from the stock lead acid to a Lithium battery.

Sorry to hear your feh is toast. Are you going to get something similar?

I have been wondering if the 12v battery is a deep cycle(it seems it should be).. mine has no information on it.
I didn't know you could get Lithium car batteries.. Can you give more info on the one you got? ..And a review would be great.

Thanks,
-LT.

The battery was $400. Took 2 weeks to arrive from China. The life is supposed to be over 10 years. The FEH ran great on the lithium battery, but it was hit and totaled a little more than a year after I installed it. Insurance wasn't going to give me any extra to account for that battery, so I took it out before they towed it away. That battery is now in my Grand Marquis.
2009 Escape Hybrid Limited AWD, Black, bought Jan.2013
- replaced ambient temperature sensor
- replaced two hvac blend door acutators
- updated SYNC software
- replaced water pump
- brake job
- replaced steering column
- replaced TPMS sensor
- multiple rear hatch water leaks fixed
- rattle in dashboard resolved as loose bolt in steering column coupler
- replaced underbody a/c lines to rear hvac
- replaced backup sensor
- replaced sway bar links
- replaced one outer tie rod (105,000 miles)
- replaced right front wheel bearing
- replaced ball joints
- another brake job
- replaced a/c condenser
- replaced tailgate latch
- replaced tailgate support struts
- replaced underbody a/c lines to rear hvac (2nd time, $2000 each time)
- replaced driver door keypad
- replaced another outer tie rod
- replaced a/c compressor
- replaced hatch glass hinges
- replaced hatch wiper arm and attachment hardware
feh2goup

E-C LEVEL 5

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby Jay2TheRescue - April 24th, 2020, 3:47 pm

I bought a CPO VW Jetta SportWagen TDI. Been averaging low 30s in town and close to 50 on the highway. Plus, the cargo area is bigger. It was the same price as a nice, low mileage well maintained FEH, but is a couple years newer, and comes with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby Jay2TheRescue - April 24th, 2020, 3:49 pm

I should also note... the FEH battery is not a deep cycle.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby MAX_LT - April 24th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Jay2TheRescue wrote:I should also note... the FEH battery is not a deep cycle.

Yeah, now that I think of it, deep cycles are good for boats or RVs that run lights, fridges etc. overnight or for multiple days. I'm not even sure if you can get a deep cycle small enough to fit the battery tray in the FEH.
A deep cycle would be nice for camping and such but probably not worth the extra cost.

-LT.
MAX_LT

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2005 Escape Hybrid
My vehicle's name: Super Duty

Postby EscapeFromLA - June 30th, 2020, 9:31 pm

So I just took a trip up the west coast (traveling to visit family while remaining isolated by solo camping) and ran smack into a 12v battery problem....from a relatively young battery at that! (I had to put it in when I got my '12 barely 20k miles ago). I only REALIZED it was a battery problem by the sulphur dioxide smell when I started up one morning because I had no other indication the battery was down at 10.7 volts (evidently that is still enough to throw the start relay) and the charge current was boiling the electrolyte.

Now I'm kinda miffed by the timing because I had figured I'd throw a LiFePO4 (lithium iron-phosphate) battery in there knowing it hardly needs any current to start, and get some deep(er) cycle use out of it with a solar-chargeable system for camping trips just like this one....but those weren't available in the one autozone in the small town closest to where I discovered this mess (and neither, frustratingly enough, was a Pep Boys who should have been able to warranty the one that went bad)...so I'm $160 into another lead acid brick.

What I'm wondering, though, is if this was related to an error code I'd gotten a few times in the days prior; wrench light came on and ODB2 scan informed me it was "engine electronics overtemp" (from which I learned this is a distinct engine electronics coolant temp sensor). I know these present 12v battery problems very strangely...since that sensor seems only to read voltage, I'm HOPING it was the dying battery that helped trigger it

The remaining possibilities that I can see are
1. a problem with the electronics coolant pump (if there is a distinct one...I need to look into this)
2. It was just legitimately hot. Dash was reading 102º outside for at least one of these...and that might be too much for the system to handle together with hill climbs and A/C (though I don't recall having trouble in similar conditions before)

...I'm hoping it wasn't either of those and that it wasn't in fact the heat that killed the battery

Anyone else have error codes thrown with a dead 12v draining on the system or is it mostly more reluctant EV mode and instrumentation strangeness?

EDIT: I should add that the front battery is definitely NOT a deep cycle and appears to be just the same spec as the gas-only escapes.
EscapeFromLA

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Previous

Return to Hybrid Green Zone