Would you buy a 2012 hybrid in 2020?

Finally, a forum for E/M/T Hybrid owners? What a concept!

Would you buy a 2012 hybrid in 2020?

Postby orey10m - October 17th, 2020, 4:17 pm

I need a new vehicle and like the 2012 body-style Ford Escape Hybrids. I am interested in the 4wd option, because I find myself on "light" off-road situations alot while fishing rivers and streams, and I live in St Louis where it snows and gets icy some in the winter time.
Also I'd love to car camp /sleep in the back during one or two night camping trips too, for what it's worth.

But a 2012 vehicle is now 8/9 years old. And I was reading that hybrid batteries often last about 8 years. So I just wanted to check the interwebs for whether I'm crazy for thinking of buying a hybrid that old.

Will the dealer laugh at me as a sucker the moment I walk out because I just bought a car that will need a few thousand dollar battery replacement soon?

I see some of these with less than 100k miles on them and for around $9-11k asking price which is what I'm comfortable with and seems pretty appropriate for my budget. Does $11k sound too high for that old of a car?
orey10m

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Would you buy a 2012 hybrid in 2020?

Postby bangster - October 17th, 2020, 4:47 pm

In my local market, it would have to have a lot less miles to be above $10k.

While I mainly am shopping for 2010-2012 Fusion/MKZ hybrids, I did add 2G Escape Hybrids to the search (in case my son ever decides to get his drivers license). It would have to be a 2009 or newer for SYNC (which I know it is easy to add bluetooth to aux in, but the simpler the better).

I also question an 8-10 year old hybrid, I haven't actually driven an Escape Hybrid, but knowing how the Fusion works and the mileage it should show, it seems like over half that I drove had issues that caused them to not be running in hybrid mode. I don't know enough about the display of power use of the Escape to know what to look for if I was driving one, to see if working correctly or not.

This is something I would go look at if it was closer and there wasn't a pandemic going on...
2009 a desert friendly color, 66k miles for $6900. I would like things like reverse sensing and camera, but both can be added.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/ ... 55961.html
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby orey10m - October 17th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Yeah this is the one I'm looking at. It's got a lot less than 100k, at 75k. But the color is awful.
And it's $11k

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... TCsavedcar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
orey10m

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby bangster - October 17th, 2020, 11:39 pm

That is middle of the range dealer price for your location...I could only justify that color if it was a hybrid only color, like the 2012 Fusion Ginger Ale (which was a 2013+ Escape color, FWIW), and just because I knew it, I wouldn't expect anyone else to.

I would have to drive it, and see that it is in hybrid assist when it should be, and that the fuel mileage reflects that. Since it doesn't have navigation it doesn't have the energy flow display.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Return to Hybrid Green Zone