Forscan has no PATS option for adding keys? (2005 hybrid)

Finally, a forum for E/M/T Hybrid owners? What a concept!

Forscan has no PATS option for adding keys? (2005 hybrid)

Postby 3_Dog_Knight - July 9th, 2021, 9:41 am

The only options made available to me under the menu that's suppose to include the PATS process, are module resets and battery balance, nothing else.

I have a 2005 Escape Hybrid and purchased a wired Forscan reader and extended license for the program on my laptop mainly so I could add keys myself but there is no PATS option as shown in various tutorials. The Forscan program shows that it accepted the license and I've successfully done a number of things with Forscan already including checking various module dtc's, several self tests, checking various module dtc's and a drive battery balance.

Anyone else run into this? I really need another key. All I have is one with the the key 'hole' broken off and I'm great at misplacing stuff.
3_Dog_Knight

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Forscan has no PATS option for adding keys? (2005 hybrid

Postby davez26 - July 9th, 2021, 3:40 pm

It's in the there.
I did it on my daughter's 2005 when she got it.
I can't remember where, but it's there.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
davez26

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby bangster - July 9th, 2021, 3:58 pm

Wired and switchable for MS and HS CAN? Have you tried both busses?
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby 3_Dog_Knight - July 9th, 2021, 8:08 pm

[quote="davez26"]It's in the there.
I did it on my daughter's 2005 when she got it.
I can't remember where, but it's there.

That gives me some hope thanks, I'll keep working at it
3_Dog_Knight

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby 3_Dog_Knight - July 9th, 2021, 8:10 pm

bangster wrote:Wired and switchable for MS and HS CAN? Have you tried both busses?

I got an auto switching one on Amazon that I think someone on the forum recommended. "FORScan ELMconfig OBD2 Adapter ELM327 USB Scanner Automatic Transform Switch MS-CAN/HS-CAN"
3_Dog_Knight

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby raysfan - July 10th, 2021, 12:55 am

Davez26 is right, it is in there. I have done 3 keys (02 Mustang, 03 Mustang, 12 Focus) between myself and family members. Each time I did it I struggled and said, I need to write that down but never did. I think it is in the Instrument Cluster Group or in the Ford Service Menu. I also remember doing lots of waiting. Ford makes you wait so if you are trying to steal a car, you are sitting there for long time before Forscan or FORD IDS (official Ford version that Forscan mimics) allows you to program a key.

1st you have to perform the security access procedure. This procedure invokes a an inherent 10 minute time delay prior to granting entry.
a) select the appropriate instrument cluster
b) using service function, choose Security Access Procedure.
(wait 10 minutes - key must remain in Run and Forescan must remain connected)
c) a new menu will appear - Chose your procedure (add key, Erase all codes and program 2 new keys etc)

I really should have written down step by step instructions but each time I did it, it was going to be the last time-so I never did.

Can you get hold of the official Ford Shop Manual from somebody at this site - you want the Key Programming Section. That will help. That is what I used when I did the 3 cars I referred to above.
raysfan

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby bangster - July 10th, 2021, 9:33 am

I don't think in the 2005 Escape that PATS is in the cluster, but in the PCM. It is in the cluster in my 2012 Fusion.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby 3_Dog_Knight - July 10th, 2021, 10:49 am

raysfan wrote:Davez26 is right, it is in there. I have done 3 keys (02 Mustang, 03 Mustang, 12 Focus) between myself and family members. Each time I did it I struggled and said, I need to write that down but never did. I think it is in the Instrument Cluster Group or in the Ford Service Menu. I also remember doing lots of waiting. Ford makes you wait so if you are trying to steal a car, you are sitting there for long time before Forscan or FORD IDS (official Ford version that Forscan mimics) allows you to program a key.

1st you have to perform the security access procedure. This procedure invokes a an inherent 10 minute time delay prior to granting entry.
a) select the appropriate instrument cluster
b) using service function, choose Security Access Procedure.
(wait 10 minutes - key must remain in Run and Forescan must remain connected)
c) a new menu will appear - Chose your procedure (add key, Erase all codes and program 2 new keys etc)

I really should have written down step by step instructions but each time I did it, it was going to be the last time-so I never did.

Can you get hold of the official Ford Shop Manual from somebody at this site - you want the Key Programming Section. That will help. That is what I used when I did the 3 cars I referred to above.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I've found a few videos now that all show the PATS key programming option in the same place in Forscan and it's just not there on mine. Current suspicions are:

1.)My OBDII adapter is not as compatible with Forscan as it lead me to believe
2.)There is something wrong with one of my modules or wiring preventing communication with PATS system
3.)At some point someone with a tuner could have disabled the PATS system

I'm probably going to start with the easiest potential solution. Get a new key cut and see if it works despite not being programmed in. If that doesn't work I might just take the chip out of the key and glue it near the ignition so any cut key will start the vehicle. I've never done that though so the thought of potentially damaging my only programmed chip during extraction does make me a bit nervous, especially with no communication possible with PATS right now.
3_Dog_Knight

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby 3_Dog_Knight - July 12th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Update/Solution - I had come up with a couple nice options (see below), but it seems PATS was either disabled by previous owner or was never present on my 2005 hybrid. I had a new key cut and without even programming it, it works just as well as the original, and without the original in the vicinity. I had wondered if this might be the case when wrapping my original key in tinfoil did not prevent starting. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get to use Forscan to solve this and that it's still a mystery why PATS doesn't work, but also pretty happy I've got a working spare with minimal effort.

After Lowes told me they wouldn't touch a key that didn't come from there (and were out of #24 keys), I got it cut at a local key shop and discovered an interesting alternative option. When I told them my "plan B" was to cut the chip out of my one working key and glue it near the ignition, so that any cut key would then work, they went from quoting $55 to cut and program a key not including the cost of the key itself, to offering to sell me a cloned chip for $10 (without a key) that I could use for defeating the system. So if anyone is lamenting the cost of having a shop program a second key, this could be a cheap alternative. But also, if you don't want to defeat the system by gluing a chip near the ignition, they also sell blank keys for about $5 on Amazon that are made to easily insert a chip into. So if PATS had still been an issue for me, for $5 I could have bought an empty key blank, had it cut to match for another $5 or less, and then bought a cloned chip of my working key to go in it for $10 for a total of $20 max. I hope this helps someone and thanks to those who tried to help me on this, I still appreciate it.
3_Dog_Knight

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Hybrid Green Zone