Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

PEPBOYS............ :( :( :( :cry:

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Skywoulf 
#1 ·
The Boycott story of the day is PepBoys. Specifically Pittsburgh, PA (Robinson) and Frederick, MD

Our story starts in October 2009. I had minor overheating on my Dodge and took it in to Frederick, MD to get checked out. Apparently the image of the alignment gone wrong the day before wasn't pulled to the front of my brain. (Steering wheel turned 45 degrees to go straight. you can picture that.) I go in for quick system check they can't find anything and send me on my way with a quick splash of Coolant. A few days later same thing, same symptoms, same condition, slowing down in city traffic. Again....could not duplicate, but this time they did a full pressure test, and no problems found. The next morning I was headed to Minneapolis and got to Breezewood, PA, (Where I-70 meets the PA Turnpike) and slowing down for city traffic overheats again. I stop let it cool and have system checked again, not P/B this time. I am faced with dilemma.....80 miles back down the mountain and return to Frederick, MD or 125 miles UP the mountain to the next Pep Boys along my route which is Pittsburgh (Robinson). I elect to cool and go back to Frederick return and let them check it out again. This time they change the thermostat and fan clutch and send me on my way.

Fast forward to the following morning and another attempt to Minneapolis. I get to same place in Breezewood, PA and overheat but this time after cooling I take advantage of the cool day with rain and try to make Robinson. After making downtown Pittsburgh it finally overheats to the point of CHECK GAUGES and I have to have it towed the rest of the way to Robinson. We grab dinner, wait a bit and wait for diagnosis and this time it is WATER PUMP" of course being Friday evening not able to finish. I tell them work it slowly and thoroughly and fortunately my G/F was fairly close to Pittsburgh with her parents so rescue mission #1 is underway. We go to her parents stay the night, then I catch a flight from Pittsburgh-Minneapolis and I work my shifts there. I come back the following Wednesday to pick up, stay the night in Pittsburgh, ironically walking distance from P/B. Head out the next afternoon and make it to Toledo, OH for fuel/dinner stop. This is where the fun really begins.

I get off the OH Turnpike and as soon as we get through the toll booth we get the "CHECK GAUGES" again, we coast into at Honda Dealer and let cool. They do a quick diagnosis, the hydrocarbon test and determine head gasket. Fortunately for me their diagnosis was off....read next parageraph.

So to catch up, we have replaced the Fan Clutch, Thermostat, Water pump and still overheating. We take it over to the Dodge dealer about one mile down from the Honda dealer but of course service is closed for the day. We leave overnight and check out the diagnosis late morning. Final determination is Radiator…..Internal explosion, failure. The reason we were fine on the highway was the ram air, as soon as we slowed down the coolant backed up and wouldn't cool through the radiator. A few "NOT IN STOCK and Wont be done until next week calls later I am on my way to Minneapolis with Weekly rental from Avis.

Radiator was exploded and any first year auto student would/should have seen the bowing of the radiator cores on the engine side when they removed the fan and fan clutch. Did I mention that P/B told me this was their MASTER TECH cooling system expert. A few calls to Better Business Bureau and threats of legal action later, I received a check for $750 plus the $550 I put in dispute with my bank. Case closed but I will never do business with them again and highly recommend against their service, especially cooling system issues.

See less See more
#2 ·
Man that sux...You would think when PB tried fixing it they would of test drove it and let it run to get up to temp, then realize the work they just did didn't work..Duh..When dealing with cooling system issues you diagnose an let car warm up for awhile under load...Not just replace this and that and hope it works for the customer as they drive off in car and hope for the best... :bang:

#3 ·
Some Pep Boys are good, and some are not. The store is only as good as the tech working the problem.

Having said that, I have stayed away from them. Mostly because of a co-worker that took his truck in (GMC) for a blown auto tranny. This was back about a decade ago... Anyway, they charge him $3500 to remove and replace with a rebuilt. 90 day warranty. You know where this is going already. After 110 days it fails again. Back to Pep Boys. Another $3500. Another 100 or so days later is fails again! Hmmm. I'd be looking for a lawyer at this point. He takes it back to them and lets them have another $3500!!!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I got tired of listening to his tale of woe. He wound up trading the truck for still yet another used GMC pickup. :bag:

I guess some people never learn. :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.