Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

2003 Limited 3.0 4x4 260k MI. Serious front end noises

616 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  dlbelsito 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I have read a lot of answers that have helped me troubleshoot many issues. I have one now that is now freaking me out. My 2003 has 260009 miles. Strong engine. Oil is always pretty clean between changes, with only half qt.loss. Trans rebuilt 4 years ago. So her suspension looks like original equip. And feels like it. Had front and rear break pads n shoes replaced and Rt R drum replaced 2 years ago.
6 months ago I noticed L Fr rotor wearing bad and grinding noise.
So from inspection of the brakes & suspension I found these bad and replaced where marked*:

(RF): cv boot *RnR
Lower ball joint bad,
*RnR lower control arm
*RnR rotor and
pads(ceramic)
Because of money I moved the good rotor from the Rt to Lf . when I removed Lf wheel the hub nut had somehow became loose? Tightened nut. Put the rotor on with the new pads and immediately got a grinding noise from the left. I finally got the new rotor for the left side put it all together now the noise is a combo of grinding, another sounds like the backing plate rubbing a caliper and a clunking noise when only turning the wheels. At about 40mph it's smooth. It steers good. Tracks straight. And no exhaust hangers loose.
The left lower control arm is next to be replaced for bad ball joint.
I've been told it's probably bad calipers.or I might even have the wrong pads.
I've checked everything nothing is loose but I just noticed the rear motor mount is bad. And no abnormal wear on the new rotors.
With all the noise it sounds like the entire front end is gonna fall off. People can here it as I drive by.
Again. No steering issues or break pedal vibrations.
Could the motor mount be binding the axles?
Here's weird part. sometimes there is no noise at all.
David

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.