Tow Package?

Escape to the great outdoors! Towing-related conversations are welcome here as well!

Tow Package?

Postby JasonOnTheRez - June 30th, 2020, 12:28 am

This may sound silly... but how do I know if I have a tow package? I have a 2009 Escape, 4cyl, Auto. I want to get a tow bar (Curt) to pull a jetski. Under the radio next to the 12v outlet there is a button that looks like a car sliding around on the road. Don't know what it is, but its wired up behind that panel. When I push the button there is no change on the dash. and I have the downhill assist on the shifter (What ever that's for) Ive only had this Escape for a few months and have been really to busy to play with it, just drive to work.
JasonOnTheRez

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Tow Package?

Postby bangster - June 30th, 2020, 8:31 am

JasonOnTheRez wrote:This may sound silly... but how do I know if I have a tow package? I have a 2009 Escape, 4cyl, Auto. I want to get a tow bar (Curt) to pull a jetski. Under the radio next to the 12v outlet there is a button that looks like a car sliding around on the road. Don't know what it is, but its wired up behind that panel. When I push the button there is no change on the dash. and I have the downhill assist on the shifter (What ever that's for) Ive only had this Escape for a few months and have been really to busy to play with it, just drive to work.

Factory trailer towing package is V6 only, so no, you don't have it (it would already have the hitch mount).

For the Advancetrac with roll stability control you might want to break out the owners manual and read up on it. Pushing the button should allow you do disable it. AdvanceTrac includes traction control, electronic stability control, and that roll stability control. The "sliding car" indicator in the instrument cluster should illuminate during the bulb test when all the others do when you start the vehicle. It should then remain off unless it is engaged (like...keeping you from rolling over) blinking, or solidly on when you have disabled it. The only part that can be disabled is traction control. AdvanceTrac is also trailer sway control if you have the tow package (which you don't). That could be disabled by pressing that "sliding car" button for 5 seconds.

You should also check out what Grade Assist (that downhill assist) is in the owners manual as well. It turns off OD, adds engine braking when going down hill, stays in a lower gear going up.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
Congratulations on reaching 750 posts!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Re: Tow Package?

Postby JasonOnTheRez - June 30th, 2020, 10:17 pm

Thanks! That was very helpful. I will break out the book and read up on it.
JasonOnTheRez

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Off-Roading, Camping And Towing