Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Skid Plates for Escape

24K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  Landroamer 
#1 ·
Last year I installed skid plates on my Escape. I know there are some folks that have an interest in this. I posted this info in another thread on Escapes driving in sand, but have moved most of it to this new thread to continue the conversation.

I have the FTS skids.

http://www.fts4x4.com/en/products/?method=detail&aid=37

Pros:
-The 2 steel mounting bars make for a robust assembly. (They look a bit like leaf springs for the skids).
-The two piece skids make for a more manageable assembly.
-Easy to remove just the front skid for an oil change.
-Provides nice protection for oil sump and transmission/transfer case
-The only off-the-shelf skid plates I could find ANYWHERE on earth.

Cons:
-The steel mounting bars came up just a tad short to their mounting bolts under the bumper. The bars have a slot, not a hole and I was worried they might pop loose under stress. I remedied this by placing 2 large diameter washers on the head of each mounting bolt. This seems to relieve any concerns of it coming off.

-For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to install the small rear steel mount that supports the back side of the transmission skid. I looked at the pics and crawled around underneath for hours and never figured it out. :?

Instead I had a shop weld two nuts over pre-existing holes on the rear of the sub-frame. I drilled two new holes in the rear of the skid plate to match the nuts. Then I screwed it in with two new bolts/washers. Simple and solid!

I like and recommend the FTS skid with the caveat that you will either have to figure out how the rear is supposed to attach, or do an end run and weld some nuts and drill a couple of holes in the rear skid. Hopefully they still have a set or two in stock.

I'll dig around and see if I can find some pics of my installation. Cheers, TR

See less See more
#27 ·
AusEscape said:
Still no response from FTS.
I will try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't expect them to be quick to respond to email. I've done it in the past.

#29 ·
I don't know about not fitting some E.
I think the ones from this side of the world come out of a Japanese Mazda factory. Mine has a made in japan plate.
Also most internet searches come up with that.
I am in Aus so I will hope they fit mine.
Even inside the bumpers it has a mazda stamp and the gearbox has a mazda sticker and code on it.
It is a 2.3l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
AusEscape said:
fugitive said:
I just made an inquiry on the FTS control arms using the "Inquiry" button.

It was a really odd process. :?

See If I have any better luck. TR
Hey mate.
Did FTS ever get back to you?
I have heard nothing from them though I have not tried since.
Crickets.... :roll: pretty disappointed. Not sure what's up with them. :confused:

I went through my old skid plate emails to them and found another e-mail address to try.
I'll give them one more chance.

TR

#36 ·
fugitive said:
AusEscape said:
fugitive said:
I just made an inquiry on the FTS control arms using the "Inquiry" button.

It was a really odd process. :?

See If I have any better luck. TR
Hey mate.
Did FTS ever get back to you?
I have heard nothing from them though I have not tried since.
Crickets.... :roll: pretty disappointed. Not sure what's up with them. :confused:

I went through my old skid plate emails to them and found another e-mail address to try.
I'll give them one more chance.

TR
FTS got back to me. The email was hiding in junk.
They are still out there.
I got a price on control arms $309
Waiting to hear about skid plates.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

#38 ·
I bought a FTS skid plate for our 2002 Escape in late 2016. I paid $220US plus $140US shipping. It fits well and is pretty sturdy. We are selling the car and are looking to get rid of the skid plate as I am not sure many buyers would think it is a useful addition. It is in good shape. Is anyone interested for $200CAN? We are located in Vancouver, Canada.

Thanks, Al

#39 ·
alross said:
I bought a FTS skid plate for our 2002 Escape in late 2016. I paid $220US plus $140US shipping. It fits well and is pretty sturdy. We are selling the car and are looking to get rid of the skid plate as I am not sure many buyers would think it is a useful addition. It is in good shape. Is anyone interested for $200CAN? We are located in Vancouver, Canada.

Thanks, Al
Pics?

Sent from my BNTV460 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.