V6 Towing a 6x12 cargo trailer-converted into a camper?

Escape to the great outdoors! Towing-related conversations are welcome here as well!

V6 Towing a 6x12 cargo trailer-converted into a camper?

Postby AR1 - March 6th, 2020, 2:10 pm

I have a 2007 V6 Ford Escape & I have just bought a 2020 6x12 cargo trailer I'll be turning into a camper. I would love some input & ideas from other Escape, outdoor & camper lovers & possibly others that have done the same. Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot_20200306-095531.png
This is trailer I bought and will be converting into a camper.
Last edited by AR1 on March 7th, 2020, 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AR1

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: V6 Towing a 6x12 cargo trailer-converted into a camper?

Postby shovel - March 6th, 2020, 11:16 pm

Keep in mind some states require brakes if your trailer GVW is over 3000lbs and in particular since you're pulling close to the rated max for your vehicle.

If the trailer doesn't come with brakes I can vouch for this kit it's easy to install and if you follow the bedding procedure they work reliably. https://amzn.to/2vzT9ax

You'll need a controller (Curt makes one that works on inertia and doesn't need to be permanently installed, can move freely between multiple vehicles) .

Apart from that you know the drill for towing, check tires often and downshift to save brakes on hills :)
shovel

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Charles - March 7th, 2020, 1:47 pm

According to the Ford 2007 RV & Towing Guide, specifically page 20, the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) [weight of loaded SUV plus the weight of loaded trailer] is 7,000 lbs for a FWD model and 7,180 lbs for a 4WD model with the 3.0 L V6 engine.

If you are looking to make a "self contained" camper, you will run out weight probably before you run out of essentials.

My 2 cents worth. :yes:
ImageMaps of US States And Canadian Provinces Camped In

Federal Ownership Respectfully Declined
Present Vehicle
2015 F450 Platinum Crew Cab Long Bed DRW, White Platinum Tricoat, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel, 225/70R/19.5 tires, Almost every option known to man (except a sunroof). Ford 27.5K Fifth Wheel Hitch; AirRide LoadLifter 5000 Air Suspension System with LoadController Single Air Compressor System; 60 gallon RDS Aluminum Auxiliary Tank; Lund 6132 5th Wheel Truck Box
"19.5s are chick magnets"
Former Vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 22
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2015 F-450 Platinum DRW 4x4

Postby shovel - March 7th, 2020, 3:35 pm

That's always the tough part - I was looking at these Meerkat trailers a while back because they're just 920lb dry (!!) with a sink, stove, toilet, 110v.. almost everything you truly need for a week or two on the road. Wouldn't try going all #vanlife about one but that's not my jam in the first place.

However they start about 20 grand.. I actually make OK money all things considered but I still can't see myself spending 20 grand on a trailer. Not saying they're overpriced, it's just that I would need to be in a whole different tax bracket before that showed up on my menu. So I can see the allure to trying to DIY something..

Well in my case I just take a tent with me and plan around tents, back seat pretzel nights at the rest stop or cheap hotel rooms when I travel domestically.
shovel

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Roliv00 - March 15th, 2021, 12:59 pm

Be careful with the conversion if you really intend to do this. Some of these trailers rely on an intact shell to maintain structural integrity. If you cut into it for windows, ventilation or an emergency exit you may defeat the trailers ability to stay together.
2020 Escape Titanium AWD
2013 F150 Lariat SCREW 4x4
2003 Mustang Cobra convertible
Roliv00

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2020 Ford Escape Titanium

Return to Off-Roading, Camping And Towing