Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

War Wagon Off Roading Thread

54K views 120 replies 17 participants last post by  Meatloafmountain 
#1 ·
[mod]Consolodtated Seward, Alaska and Off roading at Fort Richardson / Elmendorf AFB threads into this new War Wagon Off Roading Thread at request of Meatloafmountain - RobtRoma[/mod]

Off Roading at Fort Richardson/Elmendorf AFB:

So the missus and I were driving through the joint base looking for some lakes to take a canoe out on and we stumbled on a trail buried in the back of the base.

I was showing her a training area I used in the Army and we spied a bear raiding some dumpsters.

#Blackhorse Grille Guard
#Blackhorse Taillight Guards
#Spyder Headlights

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you for your service, sir. I was an 11B1P in the 1/40th when I was in the Army.

We also scouted out Clunie Lake on Rich side. Seems like a great canoe place.

#5 ·
Cool!

On a side note thanks to both of you for your service, enjoy the holiday :)

#7 ·
The missus and I first visited the Wildlife Conservation area then on a wild hair, decided to go to Seward (and ended up seeing the Sealife/Aviary Center). On the way back to Anchorage, we spied a couple of trails leading uphill and into the forest. Most of my good footage is on a GoPro, but I did get some decent pics once the trail abruptly ended and we had to turn around in narrow confines.

Probably not the smartest thing I've done, considering it was one vehicle (without 4WD), no cell phone reception, no one knew where we were at, unfamiliar trail and it was getting dark, but all's well that ends well.

#Blackhorse Grille Guard
#Blackhorse Taillight Guards
#Plasti-Dipped Grille
#Plasti-Dipped Stock Wheels
#Spyder Headlights

#8 ·
Nice! Cool place to mount the camera. I've just suction cupped mine to the windshield before.

#9 ·
Escape94 said:
Nice! Cool place to mount the camera. I've just suction cupped mine to the windshield before.
I did that once on a particularly rough trail and it fell off, so now I'm wary of that. I do mount it with the suction cup (upside down) when flying and it works fine then (inside, not outside).

#11 ·
underthetire said:
Haven't tried it yet. I want to get the mtn bike mount for mine that replaces the headset cap.
I've got a helmet mount that I use when biking. Works great.

#13 ·
underthetire said:
Post a link to some video! I'd like to see.
Sure. I think tomorrow I'll have time to upload some videos from a couple of trails I've hit.

Escape94 said:
I've got a helmet mount that I use when biking. Works great.
When I worked with MARSOC jumpers for a week, one of the Loadmasters put my GoPro on his helmet to film some HAHO jumps. It almost looks like a FPS.

#15 ·
feh2goup said:
At least you could escape on the bike if the Escape got stranded.
I mounted the GoPro on the bike rack and used it as a backup camera :)

#16 ·
Meatloafmountain said:
feh2goup said:
At least you could escape on the bike if the Escape got stranded.
I mounted the GoPro on the bike rack and used it as a backup camera :)
Hmm now how did you manage that? Wireless transmitter?

#17 ·
Escape94 said:
Hmm now how did you manage that? Wireless transmitter?
iPhone app.

#18 ·
:doh: oh yeah.. duh

#19 ·
Looks like fun ... Usually the impulse ideas are the most memorable!

My sister finely said one day "I'm not going anywhere with Shawn, something always happens!" My wife thinks it great that we do things and take chances ... Otherwise why not just sit at home and watch others on TV?

How were the Mosquitos this time of year?

#20 ·
123-Shawn said:
Looks like fun ... Usually the impulse ideas are the most memorable!

My sister finely said one day "I'm not going anywhere with Shawn, something always happens!" My wife thinks it great that we do things and take chances ... Otherwise why not just sit at home and watch others on TV?

How were the Mosquitos this time of year?
Sammi and I are the same way. Even our walks are memorable: Coatal Trail, Lake Hood Seaplane Base, etc. I agree with you as far as staying home. I told her when we first started dating that I wanted us to live such a life that a night home watching TV or a movie was unusual.

The mosquitos aren't bad unless around stagnant bodies of water (as usual). They weren't bad at the moving water here but they can be absolutely awful.

#21 ·
underthetire said:
PS, I got a mount like that with my knock off gopro. Haven't tried it yet. I want to get the mtn bike mount for mine that replaces the headset cap.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk
Let's see if this works.

https://www.streamnation.com/content/42892153

#22 ·
Try uploading the videos using photobucket

#23 ·
underthetire said:
PS, I got a mount like that with my knock off gopro. Haven't tried it yet. I want to get the mtn bike mount for mine that replaces the headset cap.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk
Escape94 said:
Try uploading the videos using photobucket
I went with YouTube :).

I don't wanna hear it about the headlights. I knooooow already :hyst:

#24 ·
Nice videos, what am I missing about the headlights though? :confused: I see that they are on in the last link.

#25 ·
Cool videos. I'm going to try and embed them into the post for you... *** DONE! ***

Escape94 said:
Nice videos, what am I missing about the headlights though? :confused: I see that they are on in the last link.
Seems they are a bit out of alignment...

#26 ·
How do I embed?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.