Rancho Shocks!

Suspension, brakes, chassis, subframe, more

Re: Rancho Shocks!

Postby Meatloafmountain - December 3rd, 2015, 4:45 pm

I talked to my shop, the ones who can do anything except fabrication and custom headlights and explained this thread and what I wanted. If they can do it without any liability issues, I'll "pull the trigger".

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
* Blackhorse Grilleguard - Blackhorse Taillight Guards - Plasti-Dipped stock wheels - Plasti-Dipped grille - Spyder Headlights - Dawn Bodyside Molding - LED light bar - Ford Spoiler - Debadged - LED foglights - Tribute taillights - WeatherTech Lampguard Covers - Plasti-Dipped gas door - front air dam removed - TrailFX Rear Bumper Guard - No Boundaries Roof Rack

* WeatherTech Floor and Cargo mats - Saddleman Seat Covers - various Plasti-Dipped interior pieces - Greyman Tactical MOLLE boards

* Magnaflow exhaust - AEM Brute Force filter

* front strut tower bar - Moog Front Sway Bars - KYB Struts - H&R 1 inch Lift Springs, Front & Back - KONI Rear Shocks

* Optima Yellow Top battery

UpComing Mods / Repairs / Projects:
The Retrofit Source 2nd Gen Fog Light Thread | FTS 4X4 Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arm

Consolidated War Wagon Build Thread
Off Roading Thread
YouTube Offroading Channel
Meatloafmountain

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2012 Ford Escape XLT V6 AWD
My vehicle's name: War Wagon

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby EscapeFromLA - March 13th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Resurrecting an old one here, but I'm thinking of throwing the Ranchos on my '12 and curious about that bottom bolt; does anyone have specs on the factory one? I gather it's larger diameter than the 1/2" bore through the shock bushing, hence the smaller bolt and spacer in the post here. I've been able to find replacement bolts listed, but not specs on them; I'd like to find a spacer or other solution with the least chance of rattling. Guessing the original bolt is M14 or M16? Anyone know this offhand?

Thanks

EDIT 1: thinking it's got to be M16 just based on OD for those spacers probably being 5/8" ...will probably just have to measure mine.

I DID talk to Rancho who confirmed that they do NOT in fact make any bolt-on replacement for the E, and I searched the whole 9000xl line for anything with a large enough bottom bushing to accommodate the stock bolts (there is one, but it's way too short).

- Spacer (bushing) per the original post here
- turn down the factory bolts so they step to 1/2 for the shock, then thread. Assume this would be tricky as they're certainly hardened.

I can't shake (sorry) the feeling that the bushing route will eventually rattle, given the additional tolerance issue it introduces (not to mention rust)...I'd be interested to hear from anyone else that's had this solution in place for a while. A firm urethane bushing, or epoxying/peening the metal sleeve in place could be alternatives (with varying degrees of commitment). I'll update if I come up with anything better
EscapeFromLA

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby motocrossr12 - June 21st, 2020, 8:42 pm

EscapeFromLA wrote:Resurrecting an old one here, but I'm thinking of throwing the Ranchos on my '12 and curious about that bottom bolt; does anyone have specs on the factory one? I gather it's larger diameter than the 1/2" bore through the shock bushing, hence the smaller bolt and spacer in the post here. I've been able to find replacement bolts listed, but not specs on them; I'd like to find a spacer or other solution with the least chance of rattling. Guessing the original bolt is M14 or M16? Anyone know this offhand?

Thanks

EDIT 1: thinking it's got to be M16 just based on OD for those spacers probably being 5/8" ...will probably just have to measure mine.

I DID talk to Rancho who confirmed that they do NOT in fact make any bolt-on replacement for the E, and I searched the whole 9000xl line for anything with a large enough bottom bushing to accommodate the stock bolts (there is one, but it's way too short).

- Spacer (bushing) per the original post here
- turn down the factory bolts so they step to 1/2 for the shock, then thread. Assume this would be tricky as they're certainly hardened.

I can't shake (sorry) the feeling that the bushing route will eventually rattle, given the additional tolerance issue it introduces (not to mention rust)...I'd be interested to hear from anyone else that's had this solution in place for a while. A firm urethane bushing, or epoxying/peening the metal sleeve in place could be alternatives (with varying degrees of commitment). I'll update if I come up with anything better

5 years and ~80k miles on the struts and no problems at all. Haven't touched them since writing this post.
2011 Black V6 Limited
- Wrangler Duratrac LT245/75R16
- Rancho rear shocks
- Spectre Air filter
- Yakima roof rack
- KC Daylighters
motocrossr12

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited V6
My vehicle's name: Lucy

Previous