Locked up caliper

Suspension, brakes, chassis, subframe, more

Locked up caliper

Postby backroad101 - May 20th, 2019, 12:12 pm

So on my 2011, the front pass. caliper acts as if it is stuck. It does not do it all the time but if I am braking a lot it will do it. Someone said it might be the flex hose? How would that be the problem? Clogged? Kinked? I was thinking that rather than spending $100+ for diagnosis I would (myself) just replace/lubricate the slide pins first then if that does not fix it replace the caliper and flex hose (together since I would have to bleed the brakes with one or the other anyway) for the same money or less. Thoughts?

2011 Escape XLT

Silver. 2.5L Sun and Sync package. 18" Mazdaspeed3 wheels/Falken tires/Ford center caps. Body color grille, billet upper and lower inserts, chrome door handle and mirror covers, custom engine cover, Class III hitch.
https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23610
backroad101

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Locked up caliper

Postby bangster - May 20th, 2019, 3:35 pm

The flex/soft hose can collapse, not letting the fluid return and causing it lock up. If it is locked up if you crack open the bleeder and it no longer is locked up that is a good indicator.

Certainly check the slides and stuff before opening up the hydraulic system, if it is a rusty mess then might err on the side of the slides, but either one is likely, it is actually fairly common for either one to happen.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby backroad101 - May 23rd, 2019, 10:39 pm

If that is the only corner I open up (front passenger), is that the only one I need to bleed or do I need to do all 4 corners?

2011 Escape XLT

Silver. 2.5L Sun and Sync package. 18" Mazdaspeed3 wheels/Falken tires/Ford center caps. Body color grille, billet upper and lower inserts, chrome door handle and mirror covers, custom engine cover, Class III hitch.
backroad101

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby backroad101 - May 25th, 2019, 2:04 pm

backroad101 wrote:If that is the only corner I open up (front passenger), is that the only one I need to bleed or do I need to do all 4 corners?

Well I am going to pretty much answer my own question. Loosened the bleeder valve and nothing. Took things apart this morning and looks like the caliper is seized. Tried to compress the piston back into the caliper and it would not budge at all. Slide pins look fine.

Considering the last time I did pads and had the rotors machined, they said it would be the last time I could do that, and the fact the pads on the bad side are essentially worn out and bad, I decided to just buy a whole powerstop kit from RockAuto. Kit comes with 2 rotors, 2 calipers w/brackets, ceramic pads, lube and mounting hardware. With shipping it was $210, and I will get $40ish back when I ship the caliper cores back. Also, while the brake system is open, I got some brake hoses on ebay for $28. Now I will just have to wait a week for the stuff to come. In that week I guess I can take time to decide if I want to paint the calipers and brackets :-)

2011 Escape XLT

backroad101

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby jaywish - May 26th, 2019, 1:31 pm

When you open a bleeder and depress the pedal fluid should shoot out regardless of the piston being seized or not.
12 Ford Escape AWD Limited Silver/Charcoal 302a, 17" wheels+Cooper CS5 ultra, Park Assist, Mods-> steps, 16" 6 spokes+Cooper Discoverer Sport M+S snows, Compustar Alarm/Remote Start, Husky floor & trunk liners, Centric front drilled, slotted, cryo rotors & Wagner OEX1047B pads.
89 Merc Grand Marquis Colony Park GTLS, Light Adobe/Tan, Mods = HO, Explorer intake, SS Duals, big brakes fore & aft, auto air shocks, posi, Hella H1's & H2's, 16" HPP rims, police sway, aluminum driveshaft, tranny cooler etc.
03 Merc Marauder DPB/Charcoal, HS, 6disk, spoiler, organizer Mods = M&Z control arms, oil deflector, SilverStars, U-Haul Tranny Pan
02 Mercedes SL500 Silver Arrow.
08 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited with HID's Mods = posi, Z rated Cooper 235/55-17 Zeon RS3-A tires, Addco 1" rear Sway, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter 05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
jaywish

E-C LEVEL 2
My nickname: Jay
My vehicle: 2012 Escape Limited Awd

Postby motocrossr12 - August 25th, 2020, 3:48 pm

I just had this happen to my 2011 Escape as well, same symptoms however it was the line going to the caliper. Bought a new line for under $30, bled the whole system and changed to DOT4 and called it a day. It's worth noting that I bled the whole system because I had a spongy pedal, I thought it was the master cylinder since I read they typically go bad at ~100k miles and I'm at ~120k but after bleeding the system the sponginess went away.
2011 Black V6 Limited
- Wrangler Duratrac LT245/75R16
- Rancho rear shocks
- Spectre Air filter
- Yakima roof rack
- KC Daylighters
motocrossr12

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited V6
My vehicle's name: Lucy

Return to Suspension Mods