Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Rear Springs Removal

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  RBNetEngr 
#1 ·
I purchased the H&R spring kit and am ready to replace the springs on my 2003 Tribute. I've searched the Internet and found many posts and videos about replacing the front struts, and several posts and videos about replacing the rear shocks, but I haven't found anything that mentions removing the rear springs.

From looking at it, it looks to be as simple as disconnecting the bottom of the shock, and disconnecting the swaybar link, and then the trailing arm should drop down enough for the spring to be removed.

Is that all it takes to remove each spring, or is it more involved? If anyone who has replaced these springs could comment, I would appreciate it.

-rb

#3 ·
Glad you found what you were looking for. Post some pics before and after :pics:

#4 ·
Escape94 said:
Glad you found what you were looking for. Post some pics before and after :pics:
I am finally getting around to posting some Before and After pictures with H&R Lowering Springs, KYB shocks and struts, and Plus Zero tires (255/65R16 Firestone Destination LE2).

This is a right side view with the original suspension:

This is the same view, with the H&R Lowering Springs

Left Side View with H&R Springs:

This is how much each corner was lowered by the H&R Springs.

Measured from center of wheel hub vertical to the fender lip.

-rb

2003 Mazda Tribute ES

-rb

#5 ·
Wow great! It only took you 5 years. :lol: This place is dead. I think there's only a few people that still post in here.

#9 ·
My Tribute has a slight increase in negative camber after lowering, but it's nothing excessive.

How excessive is it? Did you have results from an alignment, or is it just a visual change?

The 2011 has essentially the same rear suspension as the earlier version.

#10 ·
RBNetEngr said:
My Tribute has a slight increase in negative camber after lowering, but it's nothing excessive.

How excessive is it? Did you have results from an alignment, or is it just a visual change?

The 2011 has essentially the same rear suspension as the earlier version.
The negative camber is quite excessive. The vehicle has been aligned so it drives straight and all but it has to have something like -1.5 to -2.5 degrees of camber.
I'm looking into whether or not a set of adjustable upper control arms can be used in place of the lower trailing arms. If so, we could shorten the bar and that should stand the wheel up and not throw off the toe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
- What did you install for lowering springs?

- How much did it get lowered?

- How compressed are the rear springs?

- How much wheel travel do you have in the rear?

- How many of the spring coils are compressed to the point that there is no spacing between them when the vehicle is on level ground?

- Did your alignment shop max out the camber adjustment?

- Do you have a FWD or AWD vehicle?

-rb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.