Rancho Shocks!

Suspension, brakes, chassis, subframe, more

Rancho Shocks!

Postby motocrossr12 - October 27th, 2014, 9:34 pm

Hey guys,

I just put on a set of Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks on my Escape.

Build how-to with pics coming soon.

They are AWESOME!! :rockon:
2011 Black V6 Limited
- Wrangler Duratrac LT245/75R16
- Rancho rear shocks
- Spectre Air filter
- Yakima roof rack
- KC Daylighters
motocrossr12

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited V6
My vehicle's name: Lucy

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Rancho Shocks!

Postby escaping05 - October 28th, 2014, 6:42 pm

Are they off road or 4x4 only I could not find a part for mine?
escaping05

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby motocrossr12 - October 29th, 2014, 12:12 am

Hey so I've been looking far and wide to find shocks that will fit the escape and be an upgrade from stock. I blew my old shocks and took this as an opportunity to upgrade my ride. I saw a post on here about megascape putting on Rancho shocks on his E and so I did some research. What that research found out is that Rancho is what the Jeep guys use and that Rancho doesn't make shocks for the E.

So I did some more digging around the internet and found the Rancho shock spec sheet. Then I looked up what shocks do fit on the E and looked up the specs of those, and cross referenced the dimensions.

I found the right model and ordered them on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018YGOZC/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_dp_1.

So on the thread that I read on here by megascape said that he modified something on a lathe. He also has a post that claims that Rancho now makes shocks that fit the 1st and 2nd gen escapes and to just contact their tech department for more info (The latter of course I just found while writing this post).

I will continue this explanation because I do think this is a better way to set up the shocks and the hardware will most likely last longer than the original stock hardware.

Okay so let's get to it!

Parts list:
2 Rancho shocks (from the link above)
2 4" long 1/2" wide Class 5 or Class 8 bolts (Class 8 recommended)
4 1/2" washers
2 1/2" spacers (I bought all of the hardware at pepboys for $15)

Tool list:
A good wrench set or an adjustable wrench
Vise grip
Rubber mallet
Grinder
Vise
Locktite

First you need to lift your car on a jack(if you have jack stands use them if you don't, it is a good idea to get some).

Next remove the rear wheel to have some room to work.

Next find the lower shock mount

Next remove the nut holding the lower shock.

You may have to use a rubber mallet to hit the bolt out from the mounting point.

The bolt came out fairly easy when I pushed up slightly from under the brake.

Now go into your trunk and take off the side plastic panel. It is all attached by clips to I carefully felt around the panel and pulled it off. I found it easier for the passenger side if you remove the "secret compartment door" on the side and pull the tabs loose closest to the rear.

Now look for the top mounting point of your shock.

I used an adjustable wrench and a visegrip to get the nut loose.

Then the nut was being stubborn so I had to go from underneath and hold the top of the shock and I loosened the nut off completely.

Now remove the shock and set it aside and go back down to the lower mounting point.

You will see that Ford decided it was a good idea to turn this into a puzzle. But here in 'Murica we just plow through problems like this so use your grinder and safety glasses (not fun getting molten steel in your eye) to cut through the bolt fairly close to the mounting point but not too close.

Okay so now grab your spacer and put it in the lower mounting bracket (mine was too long and I had to cut it)

So cut both spacers at once if you need to, it is the same size on both sides.

Now grab your new shocks and take out all of the hardware from the box. It should include a nut, a set of bushings and washers for the top mounting bolt. Also remove the dust guard from the box and install it on the shocks. Just the top part is fine for now.

Now, have a friend or (if you prefer to work alone like me aka my excuse for not having friends) set up a way to prop the shock into place (get creative).

If you mount the lower mount first the shock will not fit to reach the top unless you compress the spring on your car, it's just easier to mount the top first.

Now for mounting the bottom.

The shocks come with a metal insert that goes into the rubber bushing of the shock. Put this in now. Also set up the bolt with one washer on it.

Place your spacer into the lower mounting point of the shocks. Like the photo above if it is not in there already.

Next put the bolt through the shock and lift the bottom of the drum brake or the lower mounting point so that the bolt can go through the mounting point.

Next put a washer on the other side and screw in the nut.

Note* The bolt is facing the opposite way that it was initially facing.

Next make sure everything is tight and secure, secure the bottom of the dust guard with the provided zip tie, put the plastic trunk panel back into place. Slide the bottom into place first under the plastic piece at the rear of the trunk.

Lather, rinse, and repeat for the other side and you will have a nice new set of awesome shock on your E.

Goodluck!!

2011 Black V6 Limited
- Rancho rear shocks
- Spectre Air filter
- Yakima roof rack
- KC Daylighters
motocrossr12

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby motocrossr12 - October 29th, 2014, 12:19 am

These shocks have 9 settings to adjust how stiff/soft you want them. I put on about 120 miles today on them at full stiffness. They are stiff at setting 9 I switched them to setting 6 and they rode much smoother but stiffer then stock.

Very comfortable and well worth the money spent.

I'm a happy camper :yahoo:
2011 Black V6 Limited
- Rancho rear shocks
- Spectre Air filter
- Yakima roof rack
- KC Daylighters
motocrossr12

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby mathessd - October 29th, 2014, 8:37 am

Great write-up.

Are you still running stock struts? Any plans to upgrade them?
mathessd

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Escape94 - October 29th, 2014, 10:25 am

Very cool! Also those are some beef tires! Do they make front struts? I know koni makes some that can be installed via the cut and gut method as they call it.

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks, OPT 7 auxiliary pods
R.I.P 6/15/2017 :(
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2017 Subaru Forester XT

Postby motocrossr12 - October 29th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Thanks guys.

Yeah I'm running stock struts. I do want to change them for maybe the koni's I need to do some more research.

I was also thinking of changing the rear springs or just putting the stabilizer blocks (i think thats what they are called) in the rear to stiffen them up and give it an inch or so lift.

Yeah I just put those tires on Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 245/75/R16 no rubbing at all. I also just removed the donut spare from underneath .

I also want to beef up the brakes. Also some more research needs to be done on that.
2011 Black V6 Limited
- Rancho rear shocks
- Spectre Air filter
- Yakima roof rack
- KC Daylighters
motocrossr12

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby 2002Escape2002 - October 29th, 2014, 5:29 pm

Nice job, and great photos! Thanks for sharing.
2002Escape2002

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2002 Escape XLT 4X4 3.0

Postby adelion - November 9th, 2014, 1:14 am

Amazing job and write-up! :thumb: Favorited the topic now. Please share more pics of how you E looks now from sides!
adelion

E-C LEVEL 2
My nickname: Adelion
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape XLT V6 4x4

Postby ExplorerTom - February 8th, 2015, 11:01 pm

I have these shocks on my lifted Explorer. I love them. Full stiff on the road but setting 5 on the trail.
ExplorerTom

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: '06 Mariner & '12 Escape

Next

Return to Suspension Mods