Time for tires and shocks. When to align?

Suspension, brakes, chassis, subframe, more

Time for tires and shocks. When to align?

Postby djrussell - May 22nd, 2019, 9:57 am

Hey all,

I have a 2006 Escape V6 4wd with 104k miles. I had tires balanced and aligned 8k miles ago as there was some vibration and uneven wear. I can tell the shocks are about done and am ready to replace them. By chance it's just about time for tires also.

Ideally I'd have the tires ready/ordered, replace the shocks, and immediately drive to the tire place to have them mounted and aligned. Time and scheduling make that really hard though.

So if I replace the shocks and have it aligned, do I need to get it aligned again when tires are installed? I'm trying to avoid paying for two alignments.

Shocks will be KYB as they come as a complete kit from rockauto for ~$300.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 73&jsn=251

For tires I'm liking the Hankook Dynapro AT2. They should be ~$600 all done. Current is Michelin LTX MS2 which have been fine and long wearing. Expensive though and I want something a little more AT oriented.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... del=Escape XLT V6 4wd&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=Standard Model&vehicleSearch=true

I've had it since new and it's been a good car for me. It's getting a little rough around the edges but I'm trying to keep on top of maintenance and issues. If I play my cards right, maybe my 9yo daughter can learn to drive on it. :) I just did plugs and COPs while I was at it, coolant flush and waterpump, and motor mounts except that BURRIED rearward one. Haven't figured out how to get to that yet.

Thanks for your input!
2006 Escape XLT 3.0L 4wd
djrussell

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Time for tires and shocks. When to align?

Postby djrussell - May 22nd, 2019, 12:51 pm

Actually having just watched Makuloco's youtube video he says that the strut replacement doesn't affect alignment. The holes are all close tolerance without any room for adjustment. My experience agrees. So maybe I'll just do shocks/struts now and get the alignment with the new tires.

Thoughts?
2006 Escape XLT 3.0L 4wd
djrussell

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: Time for tires and shocks. When to align?

Postby thesavo - June 3rd, 2019, 6:38 pm

Get the alignment with the tires. Mauloco is always on the mark. But if haven't had an alignment in a while, you probably need one anyway.

How long did it take to accumulate those miles? Many shops warranty their work for 90 days.

Firestone offers a lifetime warranty.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2008 Mariner Base

Return to Suspension Mods