Chrome Clad removal

Suspension, brakes, chassis, subframe, more

Chrome Clad removal

Postby Saint203 - August 11th, 2020, 6:04 am

Has anyone removed the chrome clad on the limited 17in rims? If so, could you provide pictures of what it looks like underneath and was it difficult to do so? My cladding is damaged (previous owner) and I’m looking into powder coating my wheels to clean them a bit.
Saint203

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Chrome Clad removal

Postby vpasla1 - August 11th, 2020, 10:40 am

I've heard it's a pain to get off. There's lots of Edge owners that have had issues with it, there's a video on YouTube with one owner removing the cladding from their Edge rims.

As the cladding looks similar to the Escape rims, I wouldn't be surprised if they were similar underneath.
vpasla1

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Saint203 - August 12th, 2020, 2:25 pm

vpasla1 wrote:I've heard it's a pain to get off. There's lots of Edge owners that have had issues with it, there's a video on YouTube with one owner removing the cladding from their Edge rims.

As the cladding looks similar to the Escape rims, I wouldn't be surprised if they were similar underneath.

Ah okay cool, thank you for your response. I’ll look into it and if anything comes from it, I’ll be sure to post it here
Saint203

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Illyria69 - March 17th, 2021, 6:07 pm

I talked to a local wheel modification/restoration place about doing something to the chrome clad 17" wheels on my Limited and they wouldn't even touch it. They said what lurks beneath is not pretty and it won't give them a surface to even work on to change the color.
Only way to change that wheel is either get it wrapped ($$$), from what I can see. IDK if plasti-dip works well on chrome - even if it does I doubt it would last long.
Getting different wheels or finding a set of stock Ford SAP wheels is the only choice - Not sure if I want to spend that much money, as the Escape is not my "main" car at the moment.
Illyria69

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Return to Suspension Mods