2009 V6 Escape OBD data says overheating but dash gauge not?

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

2009 V6 Escape OBD data says overheating but dash gauge not?

Postby Infinitrium - May 22nd, 2020, 3:53 pm

So yeah, my brother picked up a 2009 Escape XLT V6 . Real high mileage (we're talking a hair under 300,000 kms) but everything seems to work quite well aside from normal wear and tear items that can be expected on a vehicle of this age. There seems to be an issue with engine temperature however. When driving on the highway, the thing seems to be running around 95-96 Celsius (205 Fahrenheit) as displayed from his OBDLink MX device, and when ascending hills those reported temps rise to around 106 Celsius (223 Fahrenheit) but the kicker is, the dash gauge doesn't even budge from it's normal position slightly below the half mark. I've read that these engines have 2 sensors for engine temperature, one for the dash gauge and one for the ECU I suppose. Could one of those be reading incorrectly? Has something like this happened to anyone else here?
Infinitrium

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2009 V6 Escape OBD data says overheating but dash gauge

Postby bangster - May 23rd, 2020, 9:25 am

What is the outside ambient temp? Is 223f really overheating, it is close but not too hot I don't think it is. The thermostat doesn't fully open until around 195 degrees. I don't know what the temperatures are that it starts commanding low speed cooling then high speed cooling fan, but do you have the AC on? That will always run high speed cooling fan (well, there might be logic for being at speed and it won't).

For me when ambient temps are in the 100-110 degree (f) range all my cars run in the 220-225 degree range, so I am not sure that it is actually overheating. I have sat in traffic for 6 hours idling at 110 degrees multiple times and other than the AC cycles sometimes (high head pressure) it just did it no complaints.

The temperature gauge isn't really a gauge, once the temps are in a certain range it puts the needle in the mid/normal range.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby Infinitrium - May 23rd, 2020, 12:20 pm

Yeah, I've learned not to trust those glorified idiot lights. Anyway, the thermostat was removed to check for function. Placed into a pot of water and brought up to 195 F, the thermostat was just baaaaarely starting to open. Being rated at 188 F, I'd hazard to say it's failed
Infinitrium

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby tomw - May 24th, 2020, 9:35 am

Given the cluster gauge was not indicating the increased coolant temperature, I would check the output of the sending unit. FoMoCo likely has a table of values(likely resistance) the sender is generates based on coolant temperature. You may be able to find this, or just obtain a replacement and install it.
The thermostat should stay closed up to the rated/designed temperature, and then open relatively quickly. Not instantaneously, but over a matter of 30 seconds or so. You may be able to see it open if you place it in a pan of water and heat it up.
The 3.0 does not have a 195F thermostat installed OEM as I understand, but a bit lower temperature rating. I would not override their choice.
If the engine continues to have high temperatures when driving at highway speeds, the likely culprit is a restricted flow in the radiator. The airflow from the fans is generally not required on the highway. If overheating in traffic, the pump is more suspect, along with checking the fan operation.
tom
tomw

E-C LEVEL 10
Congratulations on reaching 3,000 posts!
My nickname: tom
My vehicle: 07 mariner 2wd v6
My vehicle's name: moby the white whale

Return to Problems And Solutions