Constant dinging ***SOLVED***

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Constant dinging ***SOLVED***

Postby JasonOnTheRez - June 30th, 2020, 12:02 am

I have a 2009 Escape. 4cyl, automatic. A few days ago it started dinging for no reason. its like the ding when you get out of the car and left the key in it. I get no warning lights, airbag light comes on as should. Here's the kicker... It doesn't start till I start rolling. its a constant ding, ding, ding... And get this, it stops when I come to a complete stop, like at a stop light. Then when I start rolling again it starts again. it eventually stops, but could be anywhere from 3-10 minutes. once it stops, it never does it again, until I turn the car off. then the cycle starts again. its not a door ajar, seatbelt warning, or air bag. I have tested all the doors, tailgate, rear window, seatbelts, etc. I have a VERY loose key when its in the cylinder. So today I picked up a new key cylinder at the dealer and I will install it tomorrow. I was thinking the two may be related. However, in case it doesn't solve the problem, do y'all have any ideas? The fact that it stops when the car stops, and starts again when I start rolling makes me think it may not be related to the key cylinder, but I needed a new one anyway.

It's driving me insane!!!!
Last edited by JasonOnTheRez on July 1st, 2020, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasonOnTheRez

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Constant dinging

Postby bangster - June 30th, 2020, 8:36 am

There are 4 possible reasons for the chimes:
owners manual wrote:Key-in-ignition warning chime: Sounds when the key is left in the ignition in the off or accessory position and the driver’s door is opened.
Headlamps on warning chime: Sounds when the headlamps or parking lamps are on, the ignition is off (the key is not in the ignition) and the driver’s door is opened.
Parking brake on chime: Sounds when the parking brake is left on and the vehicle is driven. If the warning stays on after the park brake is off, contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible.
Message center activation chime (if equipped): Sounds when a warning message (except PARKING BRAKE ENGAGED while parked) appears in the message center display for the first time.

So while moving it seems like it can be either parking brake or if you have the message center check it for a message.

I think another reason is that airbags, if the indicator is out on the dash and there is a fault.

Airbag fault will be a series of 5 beeps, sometimes it might be a code (like 5 beeps, then 2, so 52).
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
Congratulations on reaching 750 posts!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Re: Constant dinging

Postby thesavo - June 30th, 2020, 11:15 pm

Tone should also flash a light for the issue. Door ajar, seat belt. Not so much for headlamps.
No so much for the parking brake. I miss my taurus, it would tone with the p brake when ever I was in drive and the brake set. Haven't experienced that in years.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2008 Mariner Base

Re: Constant dinging ***SOLVED***

Postby JasonOnTheRez - July 1st, 2020, 11:00 pm

I feel like such an idiot, hahaha. As you know, on the 08-12 Escape, when you open the driver door, the brake pedal is well exposed. A few days ago I remember getting in my car and my foot lightly hit the parking brake pedal. I really didnt think anything of it. Apparently, I nudged it just enough to activate the E-Brake warning dinger, but NOT enough to light the warning light on the dash. Now it makes sense that the dinging would stop when I came to a complete stop, and start again when I start rolling. This morning I reached down and pulled the E-Brake release. The lever moved about an 1/8th of an inch, but it stopped the constant ding, ding, ding. Wow, that was really getting on my nerves. Thanks for y'alls help!
JasonOnTheRez

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: Constant dinging ***SOLVED***

Postby tomw - July 2nd, 2020, 9:24 am

Don't feel bad. Some have driven far enough with that pedal a little more applied enough to wear out a set of rear brake shoes or pads. Really. They wondered at the sudden drop in their fuel mileage... tank after tank...
tom
tomw

E-C LEVEL 10
My nickname: tom
My vehicle: 07 mariner 2wd v6
My vehicle's name: moby the white whale

Return to Problems And Solutions