VIDEO- FRT WHEEL BEARING REPLACE W/O A SHOP PRESS. 09 ESCAPE

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Re: VIDEO- FRT WHEEL BEARING REPLACE W/O A SHOP PRESS. 09 ES

Postby 14theRoad - September 11th, 2020, 3:40 pm

I'm lost about the direction of this thread? Someone posts a video about a tool you can buy to remove and install a bearing without a press and people talk about the brand of bearing they use?

1) I own that tool and bought it at harbor freight for $50 due to a coupon I had a few years ago. It works. You can use hand tools but I use my Milwakee 1/2" impact gun. Makes quick work of pressing out/in the bearings
2) Several places including amazon, harbor freight, etc carry that tool for <$70
3) I'm a DIYer so I work on my own vehicle and sometimes friends/family.
a) I've used it at least three times so it has paid for itself (even after the first time since it saved me time and hassle of going somewhere to have it done etc).
4) I own many specialty tools. Several I have only used once but, I made the purchase because even with the cost of the tool, it still took me less time/money that taking it somewhere to have someone else do it.
a) In some cases I was able to use a tool for another, unintended purpose, so score for me!
5) If you're going to work on your car, do it right! There's going the less expensive route, then just going cheap. If a shop won't use something and cover it under warranty, why would you waste your own and effort installing it?
haha that was off topic :D
14theRoad

E-C LEVEL 6

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby The Haverstraw Man - September 13th, 2020, 8:48 pm

So why is buying the tool and the impact hammer better then paying for a new knuckle for a E that you may own for 4 to 5 years? Slightly more expense in the short term but a lot less work in the long run?
The Haverstraw Man

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby tomw - September 14th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Buying the impact tool and mumble means opening up your vista to new and wonderful things in the car repair business experience. If you only own a hammer and a flat-blade screwdriver, you cannot do nearly as much as when you own a Philips and a set of socket wrenches. Add in a consumer level impact and air compressor, and you actually can do tires/brakes, etc with a lot less sweat.
Pulling out the impact and zipping lug nuts off/on is easier. Using a cross wrench does take more effort, and TIME.
I guess it is a mechanic thing. I have 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" drive ratchet wrenches, sockets normal and deep, speed wrenches, several torque wrenches, an electric 1/4" impact, a few 1/2" air impacts, a HF floor jack, and more than I can list. why? Because I remember bein' a young kid, going to a Sears sale at the Indiana State Fairgrounds, and buying an angle lid tool box. And a 3/8" drive socket set. That was the start of my collection. I have not stopped since back then in 1964(?).
I buy tools so I can work on things. Not just the thing of today, right now, but things that will happen in the future, near, expected, or far, or not expected at all. If I just spend to fix the thing, right now, I pay more for the part. If I need to do the other side... I will pay more for the part. If I popped the bucks for the tool, the other side will cost less, and the average cost will be lower. And, if another vehicle in the family, or the guy across the street, or Mom's or Sis' car needs one, I can DO THEM also at a lower cost. AND, I know who did it, and how well the job was done.
You may have a differing opinion, and have one in good faith as I have no reason to complain. I just am saying the why, to me, it is a thing I want to do.
tom
tomw

E-C LEVEL 10
My nickname: tom
My vehicle: 07 mariner 2wd v6
My vehicle's name: moby the white whale

Postby vincom - September 14th, 2020, 5:42 pm

f i can id rather do the job myself, and not just on cars as i have saved plenty on home projects as well.
i price the job if doing it myself compared to mechanic doing it. but in pricing the job for diy i factor in that i get to keep the tools that i need to buy. i luv adding to my tool collection.
but that's just me, id rather learn how things work so i can rely on myself to maintain and repair the stuff i own, plus im a cheap ah*le. lol.
my significant other will have plenty of my stuff to get rid on my untimely death.
vincom

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby 14theRoad - September 15th, 2020, 3:25 pm

The Haverstraw Man wrote:So why is buying the tool and the impact hammer better then paying for a new knuckle for a E that you may own for 4 to 5 years? Slightly more expense in the short term but a lot less work in the long run?

Add up that slightly more expensive "Short term" cost difference with every time you've told yourself that the short term cost is only slightly more expensive. For me, nope, didn't make sense to NOT buy the gun. Plus, if you're replacing the entire knuckle, you really should be getting an alignment check (added cost). If you replace the bearing in-situ (without remove the knuckle) and you leave the upper strut mount alone, you won't need an alignment on most cars.

For the tool specifically, I too like to add to my collection as others have mentioned but it's not the sole driver in my decision. At one given time in my household we had 4 cars. My wife's, mine and two of our three kids. When the oldest left, the youngest got a car. So, the tool was cheaper for me for bearings etc than to buy a new kunckle + alignment every time a car needed a new bearing.

For the level of work that I do and the amount of work I do, am impact gun is a basic necessity tool (like a hammer is for a carpenter) if you're serious about working on your car. You'll get a lot of use out of it if you buy it. Less effort on your part to break things loose and a lot less time and fatigue than hand wrenching things apart/together all the time.

Case in point. I have a 1/4" drive Milwaukee impact gun that I use for small jobs. I recently swapped the transmission solenoid pack out in my 08 mustang. On my back, in our garage. The transmission pan had between 14-16 fine tooth bolts, the solenoid pack another 8. I've done that job with hand tools before, talk about tedious and time consuming!!!!! With the Milwaukee, after draining the fluid, I had all the pan bolts zipped off and out of the way in about 1 minute. Solenoid pack out in about 30 seconds (they're torx bits and I didn't want to strip the heads).

Putting it all back together, the solenoid bolts had a good 1.5" of fine thread. Quick light zip of the gun and a torque wrench to follow up. Done. Pan, same thing. It took me longer to raise/lower the car and refill the transmission than it did to physically take it apart, clean it, and put it back together.

Tire rotations-easy peasy with an impact, struts/shocks - easy, brakes-easy, control arms - easy
14theRoad

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby smario259 - September 15th, 2020, 11:20 pm

There's no need for an alignment with a new knuckle if the casting is the same. More likely with a control arm, as the rear screw allows for some play. Maybe also for a tie-rod end if you do not use a caliper to measure the distance between the ball center and the rod. The tie-rod end and the control arm attachment points form a triangle in the horizontal plane that is responsible for the wheel alignment.

Different experiences. Here's mine: My 19-yr old Mazda mpv never needed a new bearing. My 18-yr old Subaru Legacy never needed a new bearing. Another 18-yr old Legacy also did not need any new bearing. I really did not expect three bearing changes on an Escape within 80K miles. For that last time the escape needed a triple job: knuckle, control arm, and tie-rod end, for the added convenience of freeing enough space to properly derust the k-frame and also grind out the y-pipe bolts that were rusted to almost nothing. The Moog knuckle allowed me to DIY it all. But had I've known ten years ago that my escape is a bearing killer I might have bought the bell kit from Harbor Freight.
smario259

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My vehicle: 2005 Escape XLT V6
My vehicle's name: Rusty Crusty

Previous

Return to Problems And Solutions