Engine work without engine removal question - 05 Escape 3.0

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Re: Engine work without engine removal question - 05 Escape

Postby tomw - December 19th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Not that I know... Try fitting the spring around the spool at the opposite end, as shown in the ford-trucks image. Before looking at that pic, I was thinking the spring fits on the large end, and would 'wander around' if fitted to the small end. Small being the thing extended shaft end.
The small spring in the other image could(no idea if it belongs) have fitted to the small diameter shaft end, and would be used to insure the spool did not 'fritter' when was unloaded/off seat. The small would not do much but insure that the spool was held in 'both' directions, and could not flop around, IF it belongs there.
Dunno if it was a belt & suspenders part, or absolutely necessary. If you really want to know, head over to a U-pull site with some wrenches in your pocket, and take one or more apart... Or buy one, and swap. Not necessarily fun, but you would know. I think.
tom

Wow. Went to Ford-Trucks.... The first answer there is one that I posted back in 2014, and I don't remember one word of it. That's a coincidence, I guess.
tom
tomw

E-C LEVEL 10
My nickname: tom
My vehicle: 07 mariner 2wd v6
My vehicle's name: moby the white whale

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby jaspras - December 19th, 2020, 5:15 pm

I absolutely do not remember this smaller spring coming out, but I feel it's small enough that I may not have seen it if it was there. I am doing a through cleaning/search of the area I removed it to see if it turns up.

It is difficult to say whether it is 100% necessary, but from what i can tell, I believe the big spring goes into the pump first, then the fat end of the valve is inserted on top of the spring; the slender end of the valve would go directly into the high pressure line once it is installed. The small spring, if it exists in my case, would likely prevent the valve from bottoming out in the high pressure line.

I called my local Ford and auto parts store, and neither were willing to check their in stock parts to let me know; they just simply said their diagrams didn't indicate it. I guess theoretically, I could always just buy a new pump, and if it turns out I actually have all the necessary springs, throw my old one back on.
jaspras

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2005 Ford Escape 3.0L V6 AWD

Postby jaspras - December 20th, 2020, 10:05 am

I found a similar post here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1602 ... -help.html

This person was having trouble with their original and reman pump. They swapped the valve and big spring between the two, but experienced a failure of both pumps. I'm wondering if the pump didn't work because this person accidentally lost a smaller spring and didn't realize it. It's too bad they didn't update with a final resolution.

I am still going to search the driveway a bit to see if any spring is forthcoming, but I'm also planning on picking up a pump from an auto parts store today to further investigate. If it turns out that there actually is an additional spring, I'll spend some more time looking, and if it's not forthcoming, I'm planning on buying a new Motorcraft pump from Fordpartsgiant - looks like they can be had there for $150...quite an expensive little spring! I'll report back with some pictures and findings in a few days when I have this all resolved in case anyone else runs into this in the future.
jaspras

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby jaspras - January 12th, 2021, 12:46 pm

This is probably my final update on this post, but I'll be checking back in to see if there are any questions. Everything is more or less back together, with a relatively minor coolant drip coming from around the water pump. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge hooked up and so far haven't seen anything lower than 18-20 PSI at idle.

The answer for the springs/valve in this particular pump is that there is only one larger spring inside the pump followed by the larger end of the relief valve - the slender end goes into the high pressure line. Remember this is for a 3.0L with the power steering pump mounted on the side of the engine facing the front of the car. I cannot speak to the models that have this mounted in the middle above the timing cover.

I mentioned before that I used a 24mm crow's foot to remove the high pressure line. I believe, however, that it is 15/16" but either should suffice. I opted to just install the new pump since the old one had nearly 300k on it, and I hadn't cracked it open to have a look at any internal wear. I also found a decent deal on Fordpartsgiant, and although shipping took three weeks over the holidays, it was still worth it vs what the auto parts stores and other online retailers are charging. Anyway, on to 300k! I'll report back if there's anything of note to mention.
jaspras

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby IPN - January 13th, 2021, 1:42 am

Good stuff OP .

Just a side note on the PS pump , i eventually found out that what i thought was a crank seal leak was actually the psp , that plate on the back of it was leaking (4 bolts for memory) , it dribbled down into the valley and then down the front of the timing chain cover right on top/above the crank pulley area .

I had already ordered/bayed a seal and bearing kit as back then it was far cheaper than a complete psp (5 years ago) , but what i noticed when dismantled was that the pressure relief valve that opens on a full steering lock (its supposed to happen) was not aligned fully central to the output (non pressure side) , i fact if i recall the hole was just about blocked off .

Not that it does not work btw it was just a bit of poor engineering i thought at the time , i could have fixed it up but i was in a hurry to get back on the road then .

Excuse my ramblings , your posts about the psp jogged the memory about it , cheers .
IPN

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My vehicle: 2003 Ford Escape XLS 4X4
My vehicle's name: Found On Rubbish Dump

Previous

Return to Problems And Solutions