Relay Question

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Relay Question

Postby paul_faraianu - May 3rd, 2021, 9:25 pm

Hi,

I have a 2010 Mariner 2.5L 4WD Base. ught
I want to install a Relay that will turn on power to: CURT 56329 Vehicle-Side Custom 4-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness, Dash Camera, GPS and Break Controller.
I taught of using a Relay that will only turn on the 4 Accessories only when the car is running. So pretty much instead of having a On Off Switch that i can turn on and of, I would like the Relay to turn on in the RUN position.
Thank you
Paul
paul_faraianu

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Relay Question

Postby tomw - May 4th, 2021, 12:49 pm

Not sure about 2010, but the 07 model has a switched power outlet(cigar lighter socket) that is hot with the key ON. That 'hot' could be used as the control signal for a separately powered relay for whatever gizmos you want to power with key ON.
Using the switched power as control, you would tap some always hot, WITH A FUSED conductor, to send power to the power in portion of the relay, and connect the load to the switched connection.
I would want to fuse the load side also.
tom
tomw

E-C LEVEL 10
My nickname: tom
My vehicle: 07 mariner 2wd v6
My vehicle's name: moby the white whale

Postby bangster - May 4th, 2021, 3:25 pm

I see no reason to use a relay, only questionable thing would be a brake controller and I think they will have the logic inside, so you would have a higher amp required always powered from battery supply, and a switched one. I personally would first try to find an unused but hooked up circuit in the fuse box, or a used switched one, and use a fuse tap.

For my trailer lights (no brake controller) I tapped into unused circuit (in my case, in the rear compartment fuse box, so running 2 feet of wire and not 15 feet), for my dash cam I tapped into a constant power (for memory, power, and optionally setting up motion detection) and switched, all using fuse taps. I had plenty to choose from, and I looked at the up stream fused item under the hood to be sure I wasn't going over that limit, but each circuit (the original and the added on one) are fused separately).
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6
Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby ProjectSHO89 - May 4th, 2021, 4:45 pm

Not sure about 2010, but the 07 model has a switched power outlet(cigar lighter socket) that is hot with the key ON.
Nope. Both are ALWAYS HOT on the 2010.

The 2008-2012 have essentially three power buses:

ALWAYS HOT
HOT in RUN/ACCY
HOT in RUN/START.

It does not have any "HOT in RUN-only" power feeds. You'd have to hand-engineer that in order to activate a relay (or other load) in RUN-only.
ProjectSHO89

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Return to Problems And Solutions