2011 poor city but good highway fuel economy?

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Re: 2011 poor city but good highway fuel economy?

Postby vpasla1 - July 16th, 2021, 1:09 pm

I think lazy o2 sensors would be more likely to cause issues without throwing a code.
vpasla1

E-C LEVEL 2

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby aalgier - July 19th, 2021, 12:33 pm

SCOOTER wrote:You indicated you've replace the
Air filter
Batteries
Spark Plugs
No engine error/fault codes.
The MAF sensor cleaned as indicated by one of the members here?
Did you changed the fuel filter? At 97K miles, I have a strong feeling the original OEM filter is still on the vehicle & hasn't been changed.

I haven't changed the air filter- it's practically still bright white on both sides. Yes, to everything else except for the fuel filter- I think that will be next.

Funny stuff happened after I changed the plugs though- I got worse fuel economy! I was previously getting 11/12 but after changing the plugs it went down to practically 7mpg. Then, I cleaned the MAF sensor and it went back up to 11/12. I'll be replacing the valve cover gaskets this evening, and I'm looking at replacing the fuel filter, but does the 2011 have a replaceable filter?.

Motor is still running smoothly, no odors, no apparent misfires or sputtering, no issues starting the engine. Just bad performance and fuel economy.
aalgier

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby SCOOTER - July 19th, 2021, 7:16 pm

Apparently, Ford made changes on the location of the fuel pump on their 2011 model. Yours is located at the fuel pump module and it is "fuel filter for life" to what I read on line. Mine is a 2008 2.3, fuel filter is located underneath the frame. Needs to be changed every 30K miles according to the maintenance schedule. I do apologize for the confusion.
There's another reply here by a member referring to the Oxygen Sensor. You might as well check that also. Mine wss replace by Ford dealer @ 62K miles.
2008 Ford Escape XLS, 5-speed, Light Sage Metallic.
SCOOTER

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape-XLS, 5-speed
My vehicle's name: Sandy

Postby aalgier - July 19th, 2021, 9:55 pm

SCOOTER wrote:Apparently, Ford made changes on the location of the fuel pump on their 2011 model. Yours is located at the fuel pump module and it is "fuel filter for life" to what I read on line. Mine is a 2008 2.3, fuel filter is located underneath the frame. Needs to be changed every 30K miles according to the maintenance schedule. I do apologize for the confusion.
There's another reply here by a member referring to the Oxygen Sensor. You might as well check that also. Mine wss replace by Ford dealer @ 62K miles.

Which o2 sensor, you think? Both or the one before or after the catalytic converter?

I should add here that I cleaned the throttle body and it didn't seem to change anything. Valve cover gaskets tomorrow.
aalgier

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby vpasla1 - July 20th, 2021, 12:15 am

From what I understand, Upstream sensors usually cause fuel economy issues as it measures the fuel and exhaust ratio, downstream sensors not as much.
vpasla1

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby SCOOTER - July 20th, 2021, 2:55 pm

One more thing, With Hand brake off & car in N. Lift each tire (Make sure the car is in flat surface & is fully supported by a jack, jack stand & wheel chocks) Spin the tire manually (by hand). It should spin freely. If it's hard to spin, you've found your problem.
Here is a reference. Some of the members already covered this on the previous post.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-getting-worse-gas-mileage-inspection
2008 Ford Escape XLS, 5-speed, Light Sage Metallic.
SCOOTER

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape-XLS, 5-speed
My vehicle's name: Sandy

Postby 14theRoad - July 21st, 2021, 3:37 pm

aalgier wrote:
SCOOTER wrote:Apparently, Ford made changes on the location of the fuel pump on their 2011 model. Yours is located at the fuel pump module and it is "fuel filter for life" to what I read on line. Mine is a 2008 2.3, fuel filter is located underneath the frame. Needs to be changed every 30K miles according to the maintenance schedule. I do apologize for the confusion.

Which o2 sensor, you think? Both or the one before or after the catalytic converter?

I should add here that I cleaned the throttle body and it didn't seem to change anything. Valve cover gaskets tomorrow.

Before you go throwing O2 sensors on it get a code scanner with live data and take a look at your O2 sensor voltages. when you poke at the gas, they should be responsive to those pokes without much lag after they are warmed up. Not only should they responds quickly quickly but the voltages should rise/fall together and at about the same magnitde.

Also, take a look at your Fuel Trims. Short term should be very responsive to stabs at the throttle. Slow response would be due to slow O2 sensors or a faulty fuel injector. Long Term should be +/- 5% ideally. Short term can vary by a wide range depending on load of the engine and how fast/far you press the gas pedal but will generally settle around +/- 10%
14theRoad

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby bangster - July 21st, 2021, 6:41 pm

2009 and newer is in tank fuel filter that isn't a normal replacement item.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Previous

Return to Problems And Solutions