Gas gauge light problem

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Gas gauge light problem

Postby cbach89 - March 11th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Hey everyone,
I couldn't find any info about this problem on the Internet, thought someone might know..
Recently the light on my gas gauge meter is not working. Every light on the dash cluster works even the gas gauge needle except for the meter which shows the full - empty increments.
Thanks for your help!
2005 XLT 3.0 V6 4WD
cbach89

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Gas gauge light problem

Postby tang - March 11th, 2013, 6:39 pm

I'm guessing a burnt-out bulb. They can be replaced if you're up for doing some minor dismantling of the dashboard.

PM with wheel questions.
past, but still with the family: 09 Escape XLT V6 AWD
present: 15 Taurus SEL AWD
tang
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 16
My vehicle: 09 ESC XLT 4WD V6

Postby GrandmasCar - March 14th, 2013, 1:46 pm

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19268

I just did this in my '04 but for the odometer light. I believe we all have the same size bulbs.

Once you pop a few bolts out (6) it's a really easy job. There was no disassembly required for me, the bulbs were in plastic holders that just twisted out the back of the instrument panel.
GrandmasCar

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby 091106A - March 15th, 2013, 5:16 am

Hello
I been having the same issue for the last year or so but for me it's the tempeture gauge - a few taps on the dashboard worked for me. I might add try hitting it a little harder this may work for you. Your bulb may just be loose not burnt out althought I wouldn't rule that out as well.

Prior to this I would loose the second half of the speedo gauge which has been working as it should lately. :bic:
091106A

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby tomw - March 15th, 2013, 11:24 am

The bulbs are priced as if they were made using some unobtainium. Five bucks for two bulbs that are tiny. That said, I'd quit with the thumping, as you may damage the dash padding if you get too rambunctious, or may damage the gauges... Cheaper to spend the $5, and remove the 6 screws. Two on the underside of the top panel, then four for the gauge assembly. You don't even have to disconnect the wiring as there is enough slack to access the back panel and the bulb holders. It is a quick job.
I looked in the shop manual, and feared for a bit that the panel had to be connected to a Ford only device to keep the memory alive whenever the panel was removed as it was stated ambiguously in the instructions for removal and replacement. Key was 'replacement' as the stored information would have to be programmed into the new panel.
tom
tomw

E-C LEVEL 10
My nickname: tom
My vehicle: 07 mariner 2wd v6
My vehicle's name: moby the white whale

Postby GrandmasCar - March 15th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Yep. You'll lose your trip odometer (I use it to track how many miles I get per tank), but it's just reset to zero when disconnected.

The bulbs are in little plastic holders that twist into place - could be that one of them is loose, and by tapping it you're re-establishing contact.

I'd take it off and take a look, it's easy enough
GrandmasCar

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby cbach89 - March 15th, 2013, 2:40 pm

thanks guys, will try this today, maybe put some LEDS/change the color while I'm at it, has anyone done this before?
cbach89

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby tomw - March 16th, 2013, 9:41 am

Grandmascar, take note of my experience wrt trip meter memory loss:

"You don't even have to disconnect the wiring as there is enough slack to access the back panel and the bulb holders. "

This is the simplest and easiest instrument panel bulb change I have ever done in a long history of working on cars & trucks.

tom
tomw

E-C LEVEL 10
My nickname: tom
My vehicle: 07 mariner 2wd v6
My vehicle's name: moby the white whale

Postby goldash03 - March 17th, 2013, 12:27 am

Actually, that's a light that i wish would never turn on, but unfortunately it turns on often.....sometimes to often! :D
goldash03

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2003 escape limited 4x4

Postby cbach89 - March 17th, 2013, 9:39 pm

This was a simple repair thanks for the help!
cbach89

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Next

Return to Problems And Solutions