2010 Tailgate Lock Does not work

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

2010 Tailgate Lock Does not work

Postby oldric - July 21st, 2014, 4:48 pm

Recently tailgate lock stopped working. When I press remote or lock switch nothing happens. I have checked all fuses - all ok.
Then I've opened plastic cover, and found that there was no power coming to motor when i operate button/switch.

What should I check next?

Thanks
oldric

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2010 Tailgate Lock Does not work

Postby MadMax - July 21st, 2014, 5:46 pm

You need a power lock actuator, but I think it's only sold in what is called the remote control latch assembly, its located in the very center of the liftgate and its where all the rods for the exterior door handle and latches hook up to

2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 20

Postby oldric - July 22nd, 2014, 9:35 am

When I press any button (on remote or on the door itself) there is no power in connector 9 on this picture.
oldric

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby MadMax - July 22nd, 2014, 9:21 pm

oldric wrote:When I press any button (on remote or on the door itself) there is no power in connector 9 on this picture.

Have you tested the power lock actuator with a different power source to confirm that it's a wiring issue and that the lock works?
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 20

Postby MadMax - July 22nd, 2014, 11:54 pm

This tailgate actuator issue has been a common problem with Escapes since day 1, most every time it's been solved with a new replacement, but if it is an electrical issue that you have confirmed by testing the actuator and it being operational then this wiring diagram of the tailgate will help you get started with your tracing

MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 20

Postby tatsimaru - July 25th, 2014, 3:33 pm

I had the exact same proble on my 2009 Espace couple month ago. Ford only sell the comple assembly and it,s quite expensive. So I took everiting apart and only replace the little electric moter in the actuator. Work like a charm, just check the serial number on the moter and order it on ebay. Cost me $15 if I remember correctly.
tatsimaru

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: Ford Escape 2009 XLT 4x4 2.5L
My vehicle's name: Big Boy

Postby oldric - July 28th, 2014, 1:06 pm

I have tested with multimeter - there is no 12V in connector 9 (unplugged from motor).
Then I rerouted power from rear glass window actuator to tailgate - it works, when i press remote button twice or press button to open glass. So motor is fine, but looks like problem with something else (relay? wiring?)..
Does anybody know where is relay located?
oldric

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby jbirch - May 7th, 2016, 7:22 pm

[quote="MadMax"] this wiring diagram of the tailgate will help you get started with your tracing[/quote]

I know it's an old thread but wanted to thank you MadMax for posting the wiring diagram. Putting the 2011 liftgate panel trim back together after installing a backup camera and aftermarket Android head unit and suddenly the Liftgate Glass Release + Liftgate Release both stopped functioning. Easy to see with the diagram they both share wiring with the license plate lights and the small 3 wire connector that i'd had apart. Clean connector exercise contacts, and all is good ! :thumb:
jbirch

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby The Haverstraw Man - May 8th, 2016, 2:37 am

Did you check to see if your tailgate window seal is leaking? If you do not have a good seal water runs down the window and corrodes the actuator (common problem). Good video on you tube on how to get the rear panel off without leaving little white spots on the interior plastic. Check your glass hinges, Ford used bolts that corrode and swell the aluminum threads on the hinge and let loose and you get a broken tailgate window and need new hinges for about $100 each.
The Haverstraw Man

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby MadMax - May 8th, 2016, 3:16 am

jbirch wrote:
MadMax wrote: this wiring diagram of the tailgate will help you get started with your tracing

I know it's an old thread but wanted to thank you MadMax for posting the wiring diagram. Putting the 2011 liftgate panel trim back together after installing a backup camera and aftermarket Android head unit and suddenly the Liftgate Glass Release + Liftgate Release both stopped functioning. Easy to see with the diagram they both share wiring with the license plate lights and the small 3 wire connector that i'd had apart. Clean connector exercise contacts, and all is good ! :thumb:

Glad the diagrams were of help :yes:

MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 20

Next

Return to Problems And Solutions