Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Misfire

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Blastek 
#1 ·
I hooked up a new stereo and now my son's 02 escape is misfiring. Could something happend when installing the stereo? A shop said it's the catalytic converter. Or at least they think so. Is there anything else to check?

#2 ·
My son's 04 has an aftermarket stereo and an aftermarket subwoofer, and never had a problem.

There have been threads from folks who have had electrical problems with aftermarket components, but I've never heard of a misfire being one of the problems.

You didn't mention what engine, but V6s in particular are known to misfire with a bad plug and/or bad coil and damage the cats if the misfire isn't corrected immediately. In my case, the lower cat was thoroughly plugged with what I guess are parts of the uppers. So far I'm still running the original uppers and they seem to be flowing normally and I'm not getting any codes.

You can always disconnect the stereo for a few days and see what happens, but I'd bet real money that you will need new plugs and coils at least. Pull the lower cat (that one is easy) and see if it's plugged. If so, you can bash it out as a test. Search this board and you will return endless pages of discussion on plugs and coils.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.