Replacing Stereo in 2012 Escape XLT - need wiring info

Stereo, speakers, A/V, Sirius, amplifiers, navigation, wiring, more

Replacing Stereo in 2012 Escape XLT - need wiring info

Postby Footy111 - October 12th, 2020, 5:15 pm

Hello all,
I'm working on a recently bought 2012 Escape XLT (w/o nav).

What I'm trying to do: Take out the factory stereo unit, and replace it with a Jensen CAR70V, fitted into a Scosche double-din faceplate, while adding in an Axxess SWC-1 adaptor in order to retain the steering wheel's media control buttons' functions. I don't mind losing the Sync functions, because the Jensen unit I'm installing has Android Auto, and I'll be using that instead.

As you'll see in the picture below, I've taken the whole center console/stereo/ac section apart -- Which means that, unfortunately, now the Escape is refusing to start. I must've disconnected some harness or connector that's crucial to the vehicle starting, as turning the key now just causes the anti-theft icon on the dashboard display to turn on and blink a few times.
So I've got to figure out these problems before I can drive anywhere again (A genius move on my part, I know!)

At any rate, I'd like to know, in reference to the pic below, what the heck parts "A", "B", and "C" are, what their functions are, and (if I'm lucky) wiring diagrams for these mystery harnesses/connectors.
(I do know that the part I've labeled "C" is a cable that ran along the right side of the stock stereo head unit, and plugged into the control panel on the front of the stock head unit. Should I assume this "C" cable is just for the controls on the stock stereo, and I should just ignore it and tape it off/away?)
I'm also VERY curious as to which part is rendering my car un-startable!

https://i.imgur.com/G5BtoQN.png

Any help is appreciated; thank you all in advance.
Footy111

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Replacing Stereo in 2012 Escape XLT - need wiring info

Postby bluto - October 12th, 2020, 10:27 pm

A is the satellite radio antenna, B is the secondary connector for the radio (contains pins for the CAN bus connection and aux inputs), C is the connector that goes to the radio buttons on the face of the bezel (The radio aka ACM and the buttons to control it are two separate components on the these model years).

None of these connectors being unplugged should cause a no-start situation. You need to observe the code that the anti-theft light is blinking out to figure out why the PATS anti-theft system is being triggered. The descriptions of what the blink codes mean are here: https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.p ... 46#p388292
Current: 2008 Escape XLT
Previous: 2002 Tribute ES V6
bluto

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2008 Escape XLT

Postby Footy111 - October 17th, 2020, 2:08 pm

bluto wrote:A is the satellite radio antenna, B is the secondary connector for the radio (contains pins for the CAN bus connection and aux inputs), C is the connector that goes to the radio buttons on the face of the bezel (The radio aka ACM and the buttons to control it are two separate components on the these model years).

None of these connectors being unplugged should cause a no-start situation. You need to observe the code that the anti-theft light is blinking out to figure out why the PATS anti-theft system is being triggered. The descriptions of what the blink codes mean are here: https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.p ... 46#p388292

Thank you for your help.
I think I've got to tie off the Sirius cable (not needed), and the former ACM control harness, and tape them off. I've then got to try to find info on which wire is which on that "B" connector, and if anyone makes a harness that will fit it.

Interestingly enough, I've got a larger problem to fix now, before I can get back to the stereo: The car still won't start, and the anti-theft light isn't blinking out any codes. Instead the Escape is just making the noises audible in the video below. A whole lot of clicking.

At the beginning of the stereo install process, I removed the little thumnail-sized plastic hatch to the upper right of the shifter, and used the little plastic button underneath the hatch to release the shifter and move it all the way backward, into the "L" position and get it out of the way while I installed the stereo -- I wonder if this has got something to do with the fact that it won't start now, and is clicking both from the dash display area and from the shifter's location as well. I' set it back the way it was originally, as far as I can tell, and yet there's still that clicking coming from the shifter area.

The battery had also died at some point while I was messing with the stereo, so the start attempt you see in the video below is done with a plugged-in battery jumper gadget attached to the battery.

A video of the clicking it's now doing instead of starting: https://youtu.be/52rLYybYF2o

As always, any help is appreciated.
Footy111

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby bluto - October 18th, 2020, 12:37 am

This should work to connect to the connector you have labeled as 'B': http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-5520AUX
All it does is all you to use the stock AUX input jack.

You would plug the RCAs from this adapter into your new radio's AUX-in connectors. Then the stock 3.5mm AUX in jack would be available be used to connect a phone or mp3 player via a headphone jack.

I would make sure the battery is good before doing anymore troubleshooting of the no-start problem.
Current: 2008 Escape XLT
Previous: 2002 Tribute ES V6
bluto

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2008 Escape XLT

Return to Audio/Video Mods