TomV's 2010 Escape audio upgrade

Stereo, speakers, A/V, Sirius, amplifiers, navigation, wiring, more

TomV's 2010 Escape audio upgrade

Postby TomV - May 4th, 2021, 12:51 pm

Hello, I'm fairly new to this forum and found it very useful when planning my audio upgrade. I'd like to thank everyone for posting great info here. Now that my installation is finished, here are the details: (Pictures Coming Soon)

[Original Equipment]
- 2010 Ford Escape Limited with Sync and premium audio system (6 disc and factory sub in rear)

[Aftermarket equipment]
- Kenwood DVD/GPS head unit (DNX9990HD)
- Metra high gloss black dash kit (99-5814HG)
- Scosche Steering Wheel Interface / Harness (FD5000SW)
- SiriusXM Tuner (SXV300v1)
- iDatalink Satellite antenna adapter (SAT1)
- Metra wiring harness for sub connector (70-5521)
- Axxess Ford 12V to 5V step down for sub (AFDI-5V)
- Focal Access 6-1/2" front component set (165A1)
- Focal Access 5x7 rear coaxial (570CA1)

[Notes]
Installation was straight forward. I soldered the Kenwood harness to the Scosche harness ahead of time. I double sticky taped the SirusXM tuner underneath the Kenwood and zip tied the wires neatly. I also found the factory dash cavity has tons of room stick components and wires behind the radio.

We didn't use Sync very much in this vehicle because the factory microphone sucked, so I plan to use the Kenwood Bluetooth phone connection instead. I installed the Kenwood microphone on the steering wheel column and the Kenwood GPS antenna on the center of the dash behind the auto headlight sensor.

The only issue I have (besides the factory sub amp "thump" when using a 12v turn on) is the Radio doesn't dim when the vehicle light switch is in AUTO mode. Using the manual switch to turn the head lights On dims the radio correctly. So I reached out to Scosche to see if they have an answer. I'm thinking though that I'll need to connect the radio illumination to the parking lights, instead of the Schoshe to fix it.
TomV

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: TomV's 2010 Escape audio upgrade

Postby bangster - May 4th, 2021, 3:34 pm

Can't help with the dimming issue, but is this a 9 year old head unit? Since it has bluetooth and none of the other SYNC stuff works anymore (the health report and emergency 911) I would think that there is no reason to retain it. I have so-so results using my built in mic (in my 2012 Fusion, it is in the head liner), but it works for what I need (SYNC commands, Google Assistant commands) and I rarely talk to anyone on the phone.

You list a 12v to 5v adapter in your list, whatever it is should eliminate the pop, a simple resistor setup or a cheap 5V IC like a L7805 circuit would work as well, built one of those, 2 capacitors and the L7805 is all there was to it, all fit in a piece of shrink wrap.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6
Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby TomV - May 4th, 2021, 4:07 pm

Radio installed
Radio_01.jpg

Radio On with info display shown above
Radio_02.jpg

Focal tweeter installation in the upper door panel
Tweeter_01.JPG

GPS antenna on the dash
GPS_01.JPG

Microphone on the steering column
Microphone_01.JPG
TomV

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby TomV - May 4th, 2021, 4:11 pm

bangster wrote:Can't help with the dimming issue, but is this a 9 year old head unit? Since it has bluetooth and none of the other SYNC stuff works anymore (the health report and emergency 911) I would think that there is no reason to retain it. I have so-so results using my built in mic (in my 2012 Fusion, it is in the head liner), but it works for what I need (SYNC commands, Google Assistant commands) and I rarely talk to anyone on the phone.

You list a 12v to 5v adapter in your list, whatever it is should eliminate the pop, a simple resistor setup or a cheap 5V IC like a L7805 circuit would work as well, built one of those, 2 capacitors and the L7805 is all there was to it, all fit in a piece of shrink wrap.

Yes, I used the 12v to 5v adapter to eliminate the pop. The Kenwood is an older unit, but packed full of features. We also had a Sirius/XM lifetime subscription on the OEM radio, so we got it transferred to the new tuner.
TomV

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby bangster - May 4th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Looks good!
Only thing about the age of it is how up to date you can get the navigation (not just the maps). I don't remember how well the app integration is on those, at the time it was pretty good.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6
Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Return to Audio/Video Mods