Add OEM Navigation to '11 Escape??

Stereo, speakers, A/V, Sirius, amplifiers, navigation, wiring, more

Add OEM Navigation to '11 Escape??

Postby jdub79 - November 22nd, 2012, 3:34 pm

I have a 2011 Escape that did not have the OEM navigation/touchscreen in it. It's a Limited, so it has the SYNC, Sirius, iPod connection, etc. I've read until I'm blue in the face, but can't find a straight answer to my question:

Can I just buy a Ford OEM navigation/touchscreen headunit and the double-din OEM trim panel and hook everything up and be done? I would like to know if it's possible before taking the plunge on the headunit. :confused:
jdub79

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Add OEM Navigation to '11 Escape??

Postby Linna - November 22nd, 2012, 3:56 pm

Yes, this is America and with enough money many things can happen. Hopefully you have a thick stack of Benjamins to get it done. Ford/any other mfg doesn't make it easy to do upgrades like this, they want you to buy a new car.
Or you could just get a new Kenwood nav unit with Ford SYNC integration and be done with it for a lot cheaper.
Linna

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape 4WD

Postby jdub79 - November 22nd, 2012, 4:05 pm

So, you're saying I can't just put in the nav head unit and nav antenna and be done?
Last edited by jdub79 on November 22nd, 2012, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdub79

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby weebee - November 22nd, 2012, 4:12 pm

That can be done. If you have sync you'll need to purchase an additional adaptor for it. You can find new/used OEM units on E-bay
2014 Ford C-max SE. MFT/NAV/SAT power lift gate, remote start, winter package.
2014 Subaru CrossTrek Hybrid Touring. Heated leather, Nav/Sat , keyless entry/start.
weebee
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 13
My nickname: WeeBee
My vehicle: 2014 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid.
My vehicle's name: None yet

Postby jdub79 - November 22nd, 2012, 6:48 pm

If I'm buying a used Escape nav from eBay (with "free programming"), what else do I need to buy to make it work? Why do I need a SYNC adapter if the nav unit is Ford OEM and from an Escape? Doesn't it already integrate with the SYNC system if it's a Ford Nav unit? :confused:
jdub79

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby detox8907 - December 19th, 2012, 2:47 pm

jdub79 wrote:I have a 2011 Escape that did not have the OEM navigation/touchscreen in it. It's a Limited, so it has the SYNC, Sirius, iPod connection, etc. I've read until I'm blue in the face, but can't find a straight answer to my question:

Can I just buy a Ford OEM navigation/touchscreen headunit and the double-din OEM trim panel and hook everything up and be done? I would like to know if it's possible before taking the plunge on the headunit. :confused:

Hi, I'm wondering the same thing. Did you end up getting the unit? I've got a 2010 Limited w/ Sync and want to do the same thing.
detox8907

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: 2010 Ford Escape Limited V6

Postby dozerspike - January 25th, 2013, 4:56 pm

You will lose Sirius if you replace original OEM head unit. The satelite tuner is built into the headunit. However, you can add a new satelite tuner. Also, anticipate an issue with sirius if you prepaid. They don't like to swap esn's much. Although, they have, it's not impossible. You would have to pay a transfer fee of $20 or $40. I just did a lot of research on this subject. See my post about the Kenwood 6190HD receiver. To get it all done, your looking at around $2K. Good luck. Let us know what happened. I am curious. I am going to hold off until the new Kenwood multimedia receivers come out in March. I heard they addressed the sirius vs. sync issue. It's going to be pricey though.
dozerspike

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby cobrajet_carl - March 8th, 2013, 6:22 pm

jdub79 wrote:If I'm buying a used Escape nav from eBay (with "free programming"), what else do I need to buy to make it work? Why do I need a SYNC adapter if the nav unit is Ford OEM and from an Escape? Doesn't it already integrate with the SYNC system if it's a Ford Nav unit? :confused:

I did this and needed the following to make it work:
Nav radio ($465 ebay if you are lucky sometimes see them listed for $595-$995)
amp & bracket ($52 new from Tousley Ford)
radio wire harness ($62 new)
amp harness ($25 new)
antenna splitter ($33 new)
faceplate ($48 new, silver; black is $72)

I had sync and satellite already. It works fine with the original sync and steering wheel controls. Depending on what vehicle your nav unit came from it might require programming at the dealer but mine didn't. The donor car had a backup camera so my screen goes blank when shifting into reverse.

To do this you will need to remove the console and passenger seat and pull up the carpet on the passenger side to run the amp harness.

If you want to add the factory sub it is much more difficult and expensive even if you get the sub assembly cheap (have seen them <$50 on ebay) as you need a new trim panel and rear lamp harness.
cobrajet_carl

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My vehicle: 2009 Mariner Hybrid FWD
My vehicle's name: White Lightning

Postby robinrolin - January 2nd, 2021, 1:55 am

cobrajet_carl wrote:
jdub79 wrote:If I'm buying a used Escape nav from eBay (with "free programming"), what else do I need to buy to make it work? Why do I need a SYNC adapter if the nav unit is Ford OEM and from an Escape? Doesn't it already integrate with the SYNC system if it's a Ford Nav unit? :confused:

I did this and needed the following to make it work:
Nav radio ($465 ebay if you are lucky sometimes see them listed for $595-$995)
amp & bracket ($52 new from Tousley Ford)
radio wire harness ($62 new)
amp harness ($25 new)
antenna splitter ($33 new)
faceplate ($48 new, silver; black is $72)

I had sync and satellite already. It works fine with the original sync and steering wheel controls. Depending on what vehicle your nav unit came from it might require programming at the dealer but mine didn't. The donor car had a backup camera so my screen goes blank when shifting into reverse.

To do this you will need to remove the console and passenger seat and pull up the carpet on the passenger side to run the amp harness.

If you want to add the factory sub it is much more difficult and expensive even if you get the sub assembly cheap (have seen them <$50 on ebay) as you need a new trim panel and rear lamp harness.

Do you have the part number for those items? I bought the navigation head unit for my 12’ Escape Limited (I thought it was a plug and play thing) and now my speakers not sounding at all (due lack of factory amp).

Thanks in advance.
robinrolin

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: Ford Escape 2012 Limited V6

Return to Audio/Video Mods