Looking for some help 2008 Escape Radio replacement

Stereo, speakers, A/V, Sirius, amplifiers, navigation, wiring, more

Re: Looking for some help 2008 Escape Radio replacement

Postby thebigalain - January 6th, 2014, 6:59 pm

I was all set to order from Crutchfield. Went to checkoit, says the wiring harness is $80! Half price cause I'm buying a stereo as well...wtf? $80 for a wiring harness. So I call them, they say it's because if I don't get that harness I'll loose the bell chime. Is this true? What did u guys use? All over ebay I can get some harness for 20 bucks... help please. :?
thebigalain

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby zibercat - January 10th, 2014, 3:24 pm

thebigalain wrote:I'm about to change my radio as well. Will I still have the clock and temparature gage in the upper display?

You still have the compass and the temp display. Every time you'll start your car it will display "ESCAPE" for a few seconds and then it will display "DVD", at least that is what mine does.
2008 Escape V6 4WD XLT
Kenwood DDX719 with Wireless Backup Camera
KYB shocks and struts
zibercat

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!
My nickname: Zibercat
My vehicle: 08 Ford Escape XLT 4WD V6
My vehicle's name: Elvis

Postby ec91745 - November 2nd, 2020, 11:58 pm

Replying to a very old post, but I’m glad you guys covered this topic and that I found it! I just installed a Sony XAV-AX1000 in my 2008 Escape, and was wondering if there was a way to remove or alter the “DVD” appearing in the console. I guess not.

And yes, the $80 wiring harness from Crutchfield feels like a ripoff, but I couldn’t find a cheaper alternative. I mean, I tried one from Amazon that said it’s supposed to fit, but the connectors had the wrong number of pins.

And yes, there was that 4-pin connector that plugged into the side of the OEM radio, and I too just left it dangling.
ec91745

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby bluto - November 3rd, 2020, 12:18 am

It is possible to build a device using an Arduino to talk to the FDIM module and enable the clock again as well as displaying other information depending on the model year. See here: https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41057

Realistically this is the only way to get the FDIM to stop displaying 'DVD'. But it is not an easy DIY project.
Current: 2008 Escape XLT
Previous: 2002 Tribute ES V6
bluto

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2008 Escape XLT

Previous

Return to Audio/Video Mods