Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

FDIM display controller - clock on dash is back! (and more)

28K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  blackace936 
#1 ·
Not sure if it should go here or to Electrical mods, so let it be here.

Some time ago I pulled out factory head unit, and 1 year later started to develop FDIM dash display controller, as I've been really frustrated by the fact it just displays "Mercury Mariner". Project evolved a lot over time, so recently I decided to open all the information required to build it on your own. Currently supports Escapes/Mariners 2008-2012, maybe will work on other Fords with same FDIM module, but I haven't had a chance to check.

Device is based on Arduino Pro Micro and cheap CAN interface board from AliExpress.

Teaser

Mounted behind display

Current functionality

[*] display current speed, RPM, engine temperature, tires pressure, tires temperature, current time
[*] configurable display units (km/miles for speed, Celsius/Fahrenheit for temperatures, psi/bars/kPa for pressure, 12h/24h for clock)
[*] full functionality offered with aftermarket head unit (with no other modules using dash display)
[*] support for CAN-enabled aftermarket head units (may require minor additional power wiring)
[*] very early preliminary support for stock head units
[*] semi-configurable display layout for different head unit types
[*] configuration made on the fly via serial terminal

All the stuff (source code, PCB layout, part list and building instructions) is available on GitHub:

https://github.com/p1ne/fdim-controller/

Enjoy.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is very cool! Everything I do for cars on an Arduino I end up being able to put on an ATTiny, not that you can't get the full Arduino board for less than 3 bucks. I also really haven't had any practical use for the CAN boards and other bits. I have always wanted to make a more generic display from the OBD/CAN data besides using Torque and a Bluetooth adapter.

#3 ·
Omg want. I have wanted two do something like this. It involved hacking a bt receiver and the OEM Sat radio receiver.
Providing controls and song titles to the fdim. Good work.

Oh my 24hrclock. I have been trying to get the ACM to do that for years.
Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Have a @pine1981 -built module up and running. He should win the Escape electronics award for figuring this out&prototyping. :rockon:

I had to wire up the power for the Arduino to Fuse 43 in the SJB, so that it actually goes to sleep after I turn the FEH off.
I will have to plug it into a laptop again to set the clock, and the TPMS sensors are completely unordered, but those little bugs are to be expected.

Greatest feature is going to be the KPH display, that should reduce the number of tickets/speedcam photos while driving in Europe...

#25 ·
Well, I sold those for under $50, component price as approx $25. But maybe delivery from China to US is more expensive than from China to Russia. I traded in my Mariner, but soon will finish desktop emulation using FDIM display from junkyard. So more controllers should come.

And hey, blackace936, I want my percent as the author of that thing :)

And for stock - it's not as easy as it could be if you want to combine messages. But simple 4-pole switch will allow you to select proper source.

#26 ·
Don't worry Pine, you'll be getting your fair share.

As for component prices I've been burned a few too many times on buying direct from overseas so I only deal with domestic resellers now which does drive up price. Also I only bought enough components to do three so I didn't get any sort of bulk discount.

I was thinking a switch as well just for simplicity sake but I might try to do a more seamless integration if I get the time.