Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Stock Sirius

14K views 33 replies 6 participants last post by  bluto 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 Escape XLS with Sync. There is a button that says "Sirius". When I push it, the upper display says "No Sat Radio". So... does that mean it's not installed? Installed but not activated? I would like to get it going, but I guess I need to find out if it is capable, what equipment do I need to add to it? How can i find out if it even has the Sirius sat radio equipment installed??? Please help! I am adding a pic of my radio dash so someone can identify it. I know its a crappy photo, but its all I have at the moment.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
First things first, do you have the antenna on the outside? It is a little black bump on the roof right near the windshield on the passenger side. If you don't have that, then no SAT radio is indeed correct. The radio is a little bit harder to pin down whether it has sat radio or not. In 2008, the satellite radio receiver was an extra module under the passenger seat (SDARS). Sometime after that they started integrating it in to the main radio module (ACM). The most definitive way to determine that is if you have two antenna connections on the back of the radio. One for the regular terrestrial radio antenna and the other for the satellite radio antenna. Also you can get the part number of the radio an search on ebay to see if that part number has the satellite radio option. To get the part number from the radio follow this procedure:

Turn the key to the run position, and then on the radio push the numbers 3 and 6 at the same time, which will put the radio into a self test mode. Immediately push the number 3 button (there will be noise coming from your speakers otherwise). This will put you into information mode. Scroll through the options until you find the part number of the radio.

#4 ·
Thanks Bluto, that was extremely helpful. Im going to go do that right now. I do NOT have the external sat antenna. That should have been my first clue. If I add this to mine, does the bump HAVE to be outside, or can it be on the dash?
I did a quick search of used sat radio modules on eBay and I am finding them for about $50-$60. Now, seeing that I have the Sirius button, is it possible that I have the plug in place to plug into the external sat radio module? If so, then I can get the module, and buy an antenna and mount that? From pics I have seen on the web, looks like the module mounts under the radio behind the dash. Can it really be this simple to add Sirius to my car??

Thanks for your help. Going outside to get the model number as you suggested now.

#6 ·
Here is one with your part number (9l8t19c107bb):
https://ebay.us/vGY0AE
It does not have the satellite antenna connector so no sat radio built in.

Now look at these two:
https://ebay.us/Rrtspu
https://ebay.us/AJzTlX

See that extra connector with the light brown plastic cap and thinner coax? That is the satellite radio antenna which means this radio has it built in. So if you got one of those and an antenna with wire from a junkyard, it would be plug and play swap (just attach the radio and front face to your existing bezel). I guess you would have to experiment on where to put the antenna. You might also be able to use an antenna from a regular Sirius radio but getting the connector to mate up might be tricky.

#7 ·
Outstanding!!! This is a can-do. Thanks so much. I will still retain the Sync, steering wheel controls, upper display and all that? Just swapping out the head unit? Then I can hit that Sirius button and be in business (after I get a Sirius account)?

You have been a huge help! I will be ordering one of those in the next few days.

#8 ·
Yeah the radio is not tied to the car with any software checks or anything like that. I am actually running a 2009 radio in my 2008 which was a requirement to be able to install the sync upgrade kit. If you use one of those radios that I linked to, Sync, the steering wheel buttons and the heads up display will work the same as they did with the original radio (except now you will have satellite radio also).

#9 ·
Worked PERFECTLY Bluto... I bought the radio you tagged on eBay. It came in yesterday and I put it in this morning. The radio control was even better that mine, so I swapped that out too. Got a Sirius antenna from Sirius, and an adapter from Eightwood to plug into the back. Took about an hour to make the swap and came out perfect.

The only thing is when I am on satalite, I can advance the channels with the center seek button, or the seek knob on the right just fine, but when I use the channel select on the steering wheel it only scrolls through a select few and starts over again. It's like the previous owner had marked some "favorite" channels. Do you know how to clear that out?

#10 ·
I don't have a subscription to Sirius but my 2009 came with the Sirius equipped radio, and whenever the radio system is powered on in any mode if the audio is quiet enough (bluetooth with music paused or very soft music, aux selected but not plugged in, fm selected but between stations, etc) I can hear the Sirius program playing.. that part is kinda unwanted :( I might unplug the antenna some time, see if that does anything about it.

#11 ·
shovel said:
I don't have a subscription to Sirius but my 2009 came with the Sirius equipped radio, and whenever the radio system is powered on in any mode if the audio is quiet enough (bluetooth with music paused or very soft music, aux selected but not plugged in, fm selected but between stations, etc) I can hear the Sirius program playing.. that part is kinda unwanted :( I might unplug the antenna some time, see if that does anything about it.
If you go to the Sirius website, there is a place where you get them to send a reset signal to the radio. Maybe we both need to do that!

#12 ·
@JasonOnTheRez I am glad the swap worked for you! I don't know much about the favorites when using Sirius since I have never subscribed. Maybe the favorites on Sirius work the same as the presets for regular AM/FM radio? Try pressing and holding one of the number buttons to save a new preset while listening to Sirius.

@shovel For 2009, you could possibly have the satellite receiver under the passenger seat. If it is there, then just unplug it. That's what I did on mine and now it's input doesn't get selected when pressing the media button on the steering wheel, bonus! But if you have it integrated into the head unit, then the unplugging the antenna will do the trick.

#13 ·
So it's been 3 months and I am loving the Sirius radio. When I got it from the wrecked car from eBay, it must have been already activated and paid for on the subscription, because its still working. I figured out the "Direct" button to go straight to the station I want. Hitting the arrows on the steering wheel control obviously just randomly skips it around. The arrow key on the dash increments the station one by one. Hit the Direct button, the the channel you want, then OK goes straight to the channel you want.

#14 ·
Hi there, new here. Just bought a 2009 Escape today and have the same "no sat radio" message. I've read a little bit about it, that it could be either the antenna is not working properly, or that I don't have the XM module for that feature. Do I need to take the radio off to see if has the module?

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nasaathoff said:
Hi there, new here. Just bought a 2009 Escape today and have the same "no sat radio" message. I've read a little bit about it, that it could be either the antenna is not working properly, or that I don't have the XM module for that feature. Do I need to take the radio off to see if has the module?
I think I found out what you need for your issue. You will find a screenshot attached with some information I found on the Interwebs.

Screenshot 2021-01-22 195411.jpg

I am also attaching a link to the thread in question. ForScan.org

Attachments

#22 ·
If you want to keep the stock radio, you need to get one with the Sirius receiver built in. At some point they did away with the separate Sirius receiver under the passenger seat and started integrating it into the main head unit. See these for an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274685910398

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373544862907

In the first one, the cut off yellow connector is the cable that went to the satellite radio antenna. If you get one of these radios that has this connector all you will need to add is the satellite antenna and the rest will be plug and play.

#26 ·
That is a good point on the changer.... There are different variations of the radio with single disc vs. 6 disc changer. I looked around some more and it seems like radios that start with P/N: BL8T-19C159 are 6 disc changers with integrated Sirius. You could try your original button panel and it may work fine. I think if yours is 2009+ with a phone button and a Sirius button it should work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.