Backup camera install location

Stereo, speakers, A/V, Sirius, amplifiers, navigation, wiring, more

Backup camera install location

Postby dps1982 - June 13th, 2020, 3:24 pm

I have a 2012 Escape and I am trying to install an aftermarket backup camera. I’m curious where others have mounted their own backup cameras and where they ran the wires through the lift gate and tail light. The only hole I can find on the outside of the lift gate that runs through to the inside of the vehicle is by removing the rubber stoppers under the license plate. Those holes are very tiny and the first camera I bought has a thick bead on the cable that is too thick to fit through so I’ll need another one.

I noticed that there is a black square plastic plug above the license plate and below the Ford logo (where the door handle used to be on the 2008 models. I have removed that plug but I don’t see a good way to run a wire all the way through to the inside or the car from that area.

How have people handled running the video wire near the hydraulic arms? Right now I have it wrapped around the existing rubber wire tubing which doesn’t look great. I’d love to run the wire through one of those tubes but I can’t figure out how to get inside them.

Do you tap power from the tail light or the license plate light? Running it from the tail light seems like it would require a lot of extra wiring.

Have people drilled their camera into the car? I’m looking at license plate frame options to avoid that.

I’ve found this item on eBay that includes a camera that mounts to the license plate light. Not sure if the camera is any good but maybe the camera itself can be replaced. I’m curious to hear from others if you think this kind of mount is a good idea: https://www.ebay.com/itm/232323100888

Also, I’ve never seen the factory camera and how it’s mounted. Can someone share how that works?

Thanks!
dps1982

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Backup camera install location

Postby bangster - June 13th, 2020, 10:44 pm

dps1982 wrote:I have a 2012 Escape and I am trying to install an aftermarket backup camera. I’m curious where others have mounted their own backup cameras and where they ran the wires through the lift gate and tail light. The only hole I can find on the outside of the lift gate that runs through to the inside of the vehicle is by removing the rubber stoppers under the license plate. Those holes are very tiny and the first camera I bought has a thick bead on the cable that is too thick to fit through so I’ll need another one.

I noticed that there is a black square plastic plug above the license plate and below the Ford logo (where the door handle used to be on the 2008 models. I have removed that plug but I don’t see a good way to run a wire all the way through to the inside or the car from that area.

How have people handled running the video wire near the hydraulic arms? Right now I have it wrapped around the existing rubber wire tubing which doesn’t look great. I’d love to run the wire through one of those tubes but I can’t figure out how to get inside them.

Do you tap power from the tail light or the license plate light? Running it from the tail light seems like it would require a lot of extra wiring.

Have people drilled their camera into the car? I’m looking at license plate frame options to avoid that.

I’ve found this item on eBay that includes a camera that mounts to the license plate light. Not sure if the camera is any good but maybe the camera itself can be replaced. I’m curious to hear from others if you think this kind of mount is a good idea: https://www.ebay.com/itm/232323100888

Also, I’ve never seen the factory camera and how it’s mounted. Can someone share how that works?

Thanks!

I can't answer any of the Escape specific questions, but I am doing a similar thing on my Fusion.

In most cases you would power it with the reverse lights, as that is when you want the camera on. you don't want it always on as it will overheat, or only on when your headlights/park lights are on. Usually there isn't an always powered lead and then a trigger, usually just power (and again, reverse lights as that is the only time you want it on), but I do see some that have that.

I originally was going to add an aftermarket camera with sensors, but after mocking it up and only having sensors at the camera (and not across the entire width of the bumper) it had holes in where it sensed.

I would totally try that one you link to.

For my Fusion I found an OEM panel with the camera (very similar to the Escape one) for ~$10 in the junk yard, and the rear view mirror with video for ~$10 so score, they work well together. They are pricey pieces to find off of eBay, and if the junk yard knows there is a camera, but I paid for a third tail light.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6
Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby Knott - February 24th, 2021, 10:34 pm

I just finished my rear camera install on my 2012 Escape XLT. I put my camera just above the rear license plate. I drilled a 1/4” hole in the plastic trim to the upper left of the license plate, beside the light. I also drilled a 1/4” hole in the body panel to get the wire inside the tailgate. I applied paint to the steel l drilled through to prevent rusting. I sealed the holes after installing the wire with clear RTV sealant to prevent water & dust infiltration.
I then ran the wire up the driver’s side pillar up to the rubber accordion boot. Then through the boot into the interior above the headliner. I ran down to reverse (green) wire behind the trim panel where the reverse light wiring goes into the body panel to the LH rear light assembly.
The other wire to the front of the cab, up behind the headliner, down the A pillar, under the dash & across to the lighter plug, which my unit had to be plugged in the that socket. The other wire from the headliner at the A pillar, across above the headliner to the mirror where my mirror/view screen fastened over my factory mirror.
I will take pictures tomorrow & post them for you.
To fish the wire up the tailgate pillar & through the rubber accordion boot, l use an old cleaned up speedometer cable that is 3’ long. I have a bend in the front leading end about 30deg & 1” from the tip. This allows you to turn the cable & have the ability to have the bent end to turn 360deg & poke out a hole in the vehicle & be seen & grabbed.
I hope this helps.
Knott

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2012 Escape XLT

Postby Knott - February 25th, 2021, 10:18 pm

Apologies l did not get the pictures today. Tomorrow l will get them.
Knott

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2012 Escape XLT

Return to Audio/Video Mods