Help with 2nd gen SYNC USB mod

Stereo, speakers, A/V, Sirius, amplifiers, navigation, wiring, more

Help with 2nd gen SYNC USB mod

Postby kilodelta97 - October 19th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Hey guys!

My 2nd gen ('11) Escape had to have the radio replaced before I purchased it. They replaced it with another OEM head unit but did not include a new SYNC USB. I am purchasing a double port USB port from amazon. One will go to the fuse box so it can be a charging port. The other will be hardwired into the OEM Headunit to be used with sync. From everything I can find online, the OEM plug that is the USB to the radio, the connection to the headunit is just a USB Mini-A. Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to use a OEM port because I want to put it somewhere other than the stock location.

Thanks for any help!
kilodelta97

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Help with 2nd gen SYNC USB mod

Postby bluto - October 19th, 2020, 6:49 pm

I am not sure how the radio could be replaced with an OEM part while simultaneously losing the USB connector?? Do you not have a USB connector below the climate controls (next to the 12v outlet)?

In any case, the other end of the USB connector does not connect to what is thought of as the 'head unit' of the radio. It connects to the SYNC module that is hidden inside the front left of the center console. See here for some pictures: https://www.instructables.com/Microsoft ... Port-USB2/

The sync module has two mini USB 'A' connectors. You can use a generic mini 'A' USB cable to connect to the second port. In the past the 2nd port could be used to play media, but this feature was limited in software updates in later versions of SYNC. So if your SYNC module was updated, you may only be able to use port 2 for charging only.

This thread has a lot of good information as well: https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24734
Current: 2008 Escape XLT
Previous: 2002 Tribute ES V6
bluto

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2008 Escape XLT

Return to Audio/Video Mods