2005 Escape UpGrade to BlueTooth Stereo

Stereo, speakers, A/V, Sirius, amplifiers, navigation, wiring, more

2005 Escape UpGrade to BlueTooth Stereo

Postby JohnThomasson - October 29th, 2020, 10:12 am

Hi All, first time here. Just bought a 2005 Escape and would like to upgrade the radio to something that can offer Bluetooth for handsfree phone calls, and possibly a screen for navigation from my phone as well. The car was hit while parked on the side of the road, six days after I bought it. Blew out the back window, crushed the driver side rear wheel well, and tore off the driver side mirror. I didn't have collision and the driver took off after hitting it. So I am already down a bunch of cash it took to repair it - money that I had planned to use to have a shop upgrade the sound system.

I'm not too experienced with working on cars or electronics for that matter. I clicked through a bunch of pages on the forum (great community here!) but within a few pages the info is several years old, so might not be as helpful as I thought a new post might be. I also looked at youtube and other than seeing how easy it was to remove the old unit, didn't get much useful info about a possible upgrade, specific to what I am trying to do.

Can anyone recommend a cost efficient relatively easy install of something that would enable Bluetooth and include a screen? May be a video as well?

Thanks for any advice, again, great group here - hope I can contribute in the future!

John
JohnThomasson

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2005 Escape XLT

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2005 Escape UpGrade to BlueTooth Stereo

Postby bluto - October 29th, 2020, 11:04 am

I am not up on aftermarket radios so I can't give you a recommendation. For installation you can use a double-din radio but if I remember correctly, some slight trimming of the dash plastic is required. You will want to use a Metra 70-1771 Wiring Harness and a Metra 95-5817 dash kit. The dash kit warns that once you slide the new radio in, it cannot be removed without taking off the whole dash panel.
Current: 2008 Escape XLT
Previous: 2002 Tribute ES V6
bluto

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2008 Escape XLT

Postby JohnThomasson - November 3rd, 2020, 4:10 pm

While I really want to do this there are just too many unanswered questions/concerns for me to pull the trigger. The challenges for me to do this upgrade seem to be:

1. Picking the right head unit. The car is older so I don't want to spend a ton of cash. I want something that will pair (Bluetooth?) with an iPhone to provide hands free calling, and navigation/maps from my phone. to the dash screen.

2. Making modifications to the dash (and sub dash!?!?). Seems I'd have to shave off about 1/16" of the dash area where the radio goes in. I assume is for the installation brackets that go in the sides to secure the new head unit. Haven't found a lot of good videos that show how this all comes together. I haven't seen much of anything about the "sub dash" work, but have noted it being mentioned on several of the aftermarket units I have researched.

3. Wiring harness concerns. Why don't they make an adapter that would connect the car's standard radio harness to the aftermarket one? Every head unit I have looked at shows the harness with loose wires , which makes me think I have to make all of those connection manually, may be even solder them?

The directions that I have found say that once you make the dash modifications, you cannot put the stock radio back in. So, there's a point of no return that scares me!

I am a bit surprised there isn't more info (especially you tube videos) on how to do this upgrade. I found great ones for replacing the drivers side mirrors and even the back hatch glass hinges, but very little for this kind of work - at least ones I found helpful enough to get me comfortable trying.
JohnThomasson

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby jimmyrap - November 4th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Go to Crutchfield and pick out a radio that you like. Their web site will guide you through the process of picking out a dash kit and all the needed connections. It is pretty easy to remove the stock radio. You will need to remove some of the bottom of the dash for a new double din radio to fit. I would suggest a dremel tool, but a file would work also. When installing the new radio, do not snap it all of the way into the dash. I rode around with the new radio almost all of the way in in my 2007 for about a month before finally snapping it in place. This way you can make sure that the radio works like you want it before cementing it into your dash. Good luck. It isn't a hard process and you will really enjoy the new radio.
jimmyrap

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby JohnThomasson - November 4th, 2020, 7:54 pm

I found a great unit that supports Apple car play. One concern is the talk about the need to be wired to the parking brake. sounds like something that won’t fall into the current Wiring harness... anyone have experience with anything like that?
JohnThomasson

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Audio/Video Mods