Subwoofer hookup's

Stereo, speakers, A/V, Sirius, amplifiers, navigation, wiring, more

Subwoofer hookup's

Postby alexbenz27 - January 13th, 2021, 9:08 pm

I have a aftermarket android radio and everything works fine except the factory sub isn't working. Anyone have any idea's , its trying me insane. I had to hook up my factory radio to make sure it wasn't my ears
alexbenz27

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Subwoofer hookup's

Postby bangster - January 13th, 2021, 9:51 pm

What year vehicle do you have? I think that the sub input is a separate connector from the main one. It would need RCA from head unit, and a power trigger/enable I think.

For 2008 it is connector C240C off the ACM (Audio Control Module), all the others are off connector C240A (the speakers, the aux in, the steering controls, power, ground) and C240B (canbus, satellite receiver).

'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6
Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby bangster - January 13th, 2021, 10:01 pm

Also the enable/clip connection needs to have a signal between 3.8 and 6.7 volts, less it is turned off, more it is in clipping mode.
Normal Operation
The subwoofer amplifier receives voltage through circuit SBP38 (BN/RD) and ground through circuit GD151 (BK/GN). The subwoofer amplifier can be replaced individually; however, the subwoofer speaker is only replaceable as an assembly with the enclosure and subwoofer amplifier.

To enable the subwoofer amplifier, the audio control module (ACM) sends voltage through the enable/clip circuit SME23 (VT/RD). The circuit acts as both an output (to enable the amplifier) and an input (to detect an amplifier overload condition). A variable resistor in the subwoofer amplifier modifies the voltage signal from the ACM. In the event of an overload, the ACM clips the audio output signal to the amplifier (heard as distortion), in order to prevent damage to the amplifier and speakers.

The clip/enable status is based on the following voltages, as detected by the ACM:
- Less than 0.4 volts: amplifier disabled
- Between 3.8 and 6.7 volts: amplifier enabled
- Greater than 8.5 volts: amplifier clipped
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby alexbenz27 - January 13th, 2021, 10:31 pm

this is the back of the unit i have
Attachments
616yUuofU0L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
alexbenz27

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby bangster - January 13th, 2021, 10:58 pm

If that radio has a sub pre-amp out that and the amp turn on need connected the connector that plugs into C204C (which is 8 pins, 4 are used). I don't know which adapter you ended up with (the first one you posted should have worked, the PAC one should also), and if the PAC one has logic for the sub amp and clipping or if it just sends 12v enable signal.
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby bangster - January 13th, 2021, 11:06 pm

It seems like it is one that has the "AUX" bundle of RCA female ends, the green is the sub output, and the blue wire is the amp control line. If the adapter you have has the 8 pin subwoofer connector (both seem to that you linked to), plug in green RCA into the sub input and the control wire to the enable wire, again, not sure what voltage level the enable is, if 5v then you are good.

The connector from the radio in this image is called the "Aux Cable" that has the green sub out and the amp turn on.
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby alexbenz27 - January 14th, 2021, 12:54 am

bangster wrote:If that radio has a sub pre-amp out that and the amp turn on need connected the connector that plugs into C204C (which is 8 pins, 4 are used). I don't know which adapter you ended up with (the first one you posted should have worked, the PAC one should also), and if the PAC one has logic for the sub amp and clipping or if it just sends 12v enable signal.

i bought the pac with that has that blue steering wheel controls even though i don't have any for my 08
alexbenz27

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby alexbenz27 - January 14th, 2021, 12:55 am

bangster wrote:It seems like it is one that has the "AUX" bundle of RCA female ends, the green is the sub output, and the blue wire is the amp control line. If the adapter you have has the 8 pin subwoofer connector (both seem to that you linked to), plug in green RCA into the sub input and the control wire to the enable wire, again, not sure what voltage level the enable is, if 5v then you are good.

The connector from the radio in this image is called the "Aux Cable" that has the green sub out and the amp turn on.

thank you for the help, i'll double check in the morning.
alexbenz27

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby alexbenz27 - January 14th, 2021, 1:03 am

from what i saw i saw only sub output not nothing with a sub input
alexbenz27

E-C LEVEL 1

Postby bangster - January 14th, 2021, 9:50 am

On the PAC side? There should be a green male RCA cable that goes to the green female RCA from the radio. It should be marked Sub.

I can see the 2 sub RCAs (green and purple) and see the green one has a tag that says Sub:

This shows they are on the 8 pin connector:

Now that I have taken the time to read up on it, I want to replace the head unit in my 2012 Fusion, it is all pretty easy...I thought it would be harder with steering wheel controls, HS and MS CANBUS.
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6

Next

Return to Audio/Video Mods