2006 tires/lug nuts

Tires, rims, lugs, wheel locks, detailing, more

2006 tires/lug nuts

Postby Bonny - June 1st, 2021, 10:38 am

Hi all..Has anyone here heard of this.. In late March I was travelling home,down a mountain.Rain/snow just messy.I noticed a grating sound.Then felt my sisters 2006 Escape shimmy.I pulled to the side of the road and bam!!.The drivers side tire was splayed like so / probably more severe.I got out and looked at it.As I did a kind man pulled in to help. He removed the hubcap and yelled LADY you only have 1 lug nut..It was all greek to me but I knew it was serious. This man did what he could to use the 1 nut,and followed behind me for 25 miles .And I finally made it home. My sister called the garage next morning and told him the story.He said"this happens to Escapes".Then my Bro-in-Law took over. Got nowhere.He said he saw the young man doing the job torque the tires"properly" He didn't ask about me,nothing.

So FF to May 26..She had the winter tires removed and summers put on.It so happened it was ME again.I had a Dr Appointment 60kms away..Again over the mountain. As I was coming into what we call gasoline alley, 70km per.Felt the familiar shimmy/rumble.Started to move to the side of the highway and plunk.I looked in the mirror and saw the summer tire whistle past me,cross the road narrowly missing a pick up truck.The man chased the tire and brought it back to me.He was concerned.I was crying.shaking,and my sisters car was resting on the "wheel hub"? Long story short,same garage,same person on wheels.And took no blame.This time I could have been killed or worse yet,killed an innocent man.I was told it was alloy wheels. See Ford Motors CA..And it happens.I was LIVID.Still am as I type this.I was told I couldn't sue :( Has this happened to anyone here?And what did you do?
Bonny

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2006 tires/lug nuts

Postby vpasla1 - June 1st, 2021, 11:14 am

That really sucks you've had to go through all that.

1) I wouldn't go to that same garage ever again. Not for any type of maintenance. They clearly don't care and don't do a proper job.

2) I would go to another shop and inquire about your lug nuts, they may be inappropriate for the rims, however not as likely as it happened on both sets of rims. If they said alloy, and your winter rims are alloys, then it could be wrong lugnuts. also, they could be stripped.

3) invest in a torque wrench, check torque weekly and before long drives to ensure lug nuts are torqued correctly.

If the same tire is having issues, it might be related to the lug studs on that hub. Maybe their thread is stripped.

In all normal conditions, this shouldn't happen.

Lastly, if this ever happens again in an emergency, you should be able to take one lug nut from each remaining wheel, they should be okay for short distances with only missing one each. At least that way the remaining tire won't be driven with 1 lug nut.

One thing I don't understand is if the guy had to remove the hubcap to see missing lugs, where did they go? You'd think the hubcap would keep them from running away.
vpasla1

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby bangster - June 1st, 2021, 12:17 pm

There is not a "known issue with Escapes" that involves lug nuts falling off.

If it has hub caps (only the steel 15 inch wheel has covered lugs) and only one was in the hub cap, I find it hard to believe that the other 4 somehow fell out if it was still attached with 1 lug nut. I doubt that a car with hub caps use the chrome capped lug nots that are problematic.

I am not sure why you wouldn't remove 1 from each other wheel and have 4 per wheel, not ideal but safest way I can think of to get to a place to buy more lugs.

As mentioned, it might be possible that the different rims have different lug nut seats, but I doubt it. Unless you used an OEM wheel from another manufacturer, it probably requires the Conical/Tapered style seat (other types are mag style, spherical/ball).

My daughter recently went through something similar. She had her winter tires/rims on the car. She needed new summer tires. She thought she needed to take the car in with the summer tires on it, so she had her boyfriend swap them for her. He left nearly all the lug nuts loose...and on wheel she lost 2 lugs and one stud got messed up.

She had already replaced the crappy Ford capped lug nuts with solid ones, so she replaced then all again, and had the one stud replaced. I slightly expensive and slightly dangerous condition that I hope she learned from.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby davez26 - June 2nd, 2021, 12:45 am

Not a 'known issue'. I've never seen it in all my pre-purchase homework.
I did lose one once, and that's because I didn't torque them.
When I called the dealer for a lug nut, bear in mind, it fits 2002-2012, they had exactly one. You stock what sells, right?
Something else is going on here; it isn't nature of the beast.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
davez26

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby jimmyrap - June 2nd, 2021, 9:50 am

Like everyone else has stated, this is not a known issue with Escapes. I have a 2007 and lost one lug nut several years ago. I had rotated the tires and a couple of weeks later I noticed that one was missing. I must not have tightened it down all the way. The other four were fine though. It is a good idea to get into the habit of checking and tightening the lug nuts a couple of weeks after any work has been done on the wheel. The manual states "Retighten the lug nuts to the specified torque at 500 miles (800 km) after any wheel disturbance (tire rotation, changing a flat tire, wheel removal, etc.)." I find it odd that even this inept shop your sister took it to could screw up four lug nuts twice. As suggested, take it to another shop and have them check the stud and the threads. Losing four lug nuts doesn't just happen randomly.
jimmyrap

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Tires And Rims