Aftermarket Wheels for 2010 Escape

Tires, rims, lugs, wheel locks, detailing, more

Re: Aftermarket Wheels for 2010 Escape

Postby csonni - April 7th, 2015, 8:40 pm

Wheel Width is 7.50 in and bolt pattern is 5-114.3mm That's all the specs they give.
csonni

E-C LEVEL 2

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby ExplorerTom - April 7th, 2015, 9:07 pm

underthetire wrote:All the hub centric rings are now plastic, obviously not designed for a load. I had to use them with my new wheels, no problems yet and have hit a few good pot holes.

Exactly. The load of the vehicle is transmitted through the clamping force generated by the lug nuts torqued to spec.

That's why lug nuts are tapered. And the lug nut seats in the wheel are also tapered. This centers the wheel. This is why it's important to slowly tighten your lug nuts with no weight on the wheel and make the final torque adjustments in a criss-crossing star pattern.

If the steel hub flange were to carry the load through the aluminum hub bore in the wheel, it wouldn't be long before that steel hub flange would beat that round aluminum hub bore into something that wasn't round anymore.

And if that hub flange did the centering, don't you think it would require a much tighter fit than just tossing the wheel up there and holding it in place while you tighten the lug nuts? With that loose fit, even slightly off-center would result in wicked vibrations at highway speed.
ExplorerTom

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: '06 Mariner & '12 Escape

Postby csonni - April 8th, 2015, 7:18 am

Here are some of the specs I found on one site.

Offset- 42mm
Backspacing- 0mm
Bore Diameter- 73.1mm

On another site, the Bore Diameter is listed as 67.1

What exactly is Bore Diameter- the diameter of the center hub?
csonni

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby csonni - April 8th, 2015, 9:56 am

Looks like I'll also have to consider the TPMS Sensors. Just spoke with the local Ford garage here and they said I'd have to first find out if the wheels have the band or valve sensors. I suppose there's no way of knowing until you remove the tire from the wheel? Valve Sensors run $100 each! Band Sensors are $75 each plus $25 a band. So, either way, it's going to be another $400. Yikes! I can swap the Band Sensors but the Ford guy said he wouldn't recommend swapping the Valve Sensors. He said he runs his winter tires without the sensors and just puts up with the warning light on. I'd rather not do that with my summer (aftermarket) wheels.
csonni

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Rook - April 8th, 2015, 11:29 am

Yes, center bore is the escape hub diameter, escape is 67.1 I believe, so equal or greater than that is ok.

Ford is raping you, amazon has a set of four stems sensors for $100 total, if you are eBay savvy, they can be had at $45 for all four. They are likely stem tpms.

I wouldn't go to ford, a local tire shop would be more than ok and youd save a ton on the actual work, my shop charges $10 a tire or free if I buy from him. But I have known him and did business with h for awhile.
POWERED BY: TheCHIVE

2010 Ford Escape Limited V6 4WD:
A.K.A. Doctor Krieger

MODs: New to me, 2010 Ford Escape Limited V6 4WD
Emergency response: My Emergency Light install thread
EDC/BOB thread:Everyday carry (EDC) and Bug Out Bag (BOB) picture thread

Supernatural wrote:Crowley: "She was a horrible mother. Did I tell you the time that she almost traded me for three pigs, three! I was an attractive child, I could juggle. I was worth five pigs, at least."
Rook

E-C LEVEL 7
Congratulations on reaching 1,500 posts!
My nickname: Rook
My vehicle: 2010 Escape LTD V6 4WD
My vehicle's name: Dr. Krieger

Postby csonni - April 8th, 2015, 11:42 am

Are the Sensors you buy vehicle specific or will any do? I see there is a small programmer that one can buy.
csonni

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Rook - April 8th, 2015, 11:44 am

csonni wrote:Are the Sensors you buy vehicle specific or will any do? I see there is a small programmer that one can buy.

No specific and yes to the programmer