Aftermarket Wheels for 2010 Escape

Tires, rims, lugs, wheel locks, detailing, more

Re: Aftermarket Wheels for 2010 Escape

Postby bangster - March 5th, 2018, 9:01 pm

csonni wrote:So, I've got Motorcraft (FoMoCo) TPMS. What is the exact procedure for programming them. I was going to install my TPMS and tires onto my new aftermarket wheels and then take the wheels to our Ford dealer and have them program the sensors. As far as I know, I don't need to take in my Escape, is that correct? And, the sensors can be installed in the wheels before programming?

You don't program the sensors, you program the vehicle to the sensors, so you need to have the TPMS installed and the wheels installed on the vehicle in the position they will be in.

I don't know if the 2010 can be done this way, but there are youtube videos that show putting it in program mode, and you go around and let air out of a tire until it is programmed in, then move on to the next one, then the next one. Doesn't require the clicker.

Starting with tires at recommended pressure, turn key to on, press hazard 6 times, then you should be in programming mode, and it should tell you to start with the drivers front tire, lower pressure until horn honks, then move to passenger front, then passenger rear, then drivers rear.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby csonni - March 5th, 2018, 9:05 pm

Thanks for that explanation. Tire shops around here don’t explain it at all. What I don’t get is, that I’ve rotated tires several times on my Escape without any TPMS issues at all.
csonni

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby csonni - March 6th, 2018, 7:18 am

According to these instructions, a triggering device is needed (clicker?).

https://tpmsdirect.wordpress.com/2013/1 ... a-mercury/

Rather complicated procedure, for sure.
csonni

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Touringmike - March 6th, 2018, 7:05 pm

You stated you got FoMoCo sensors. What is the MHz rating on your sensors?
I just recently bought a new tire/wheel package, and had new sensors installed.
The sensor rating is 315MHz, and this is the typical frequency for Ford.

I bought the learning tool also, but never needed it, as the sensors were recognized by the TPMS unit.
ImageImage
Touringmike

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: '11 Limited (gone) '19 EdgeST

Postby Touringmike - March 6th, 2018, 7:12 pm

As mentioned above, I bought the program trigger, which is a FoMoCo part, from Tirerack.com, but never had to use it.
Cost was $45.00.
Here's the instructions for 2008-2012 Es.
When new sensors are installed, they must be registered using a TPMS triggering tool.
1.) Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle’s recommended inflation pressures (found in the owner’s manual on the door placard).
2.) Turn the ignition switch to OFF then press and release the brake pedal.
3.) Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (engine OFF) 3 times, ending in the RUN position. Do this within 10 seconds.
4.) Press and release the brake pedal.
5.) Turn the ignition switch back to OFF.
6.) Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (engine OFF) 3 times, ending in the RUN position. Do this within 10 seconds.
7.) The horn should sound letting you know the vehicle has entered into TPMS relearn mode.
8.) Place the top of the TPMS triggering tool against the sidewall of the driver’s side front tire in the location of the valve stem.
9a.) If using a VT10, hold down the left button of the VT10 triggering tool for 10-15 seconds. The vehicle’s horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.
9b.) If using a VT15, press the left button, wait until the horn sounds, then press the right button to turn the tool off.
9c.) If using a FORDTRIGGER, press the center button. The vehicle’s horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.
10.) Once the horn sounds, move on to the passenger side front tire and repeat the process. Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less.
11.) After the passenger side front tire has been learned, continue on to the passenger side rear tire and finishing with the driver’s side rear tire.
12.) You may now turn the ignition to OFF. If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully. If the horn sounds twice, then the process must be repeated because there was a malfunction.
If your vehicle has push-button ignition:
1.) Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle’s recommended inflation pressures (found in the owner’s manual on the door placard).
2.) Make sure the ignition button is OFF then press and release the brake pedal
ImageImage
Touringmike

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby csonni - March 6th, 2018, 10:16 pm

Touringmike wrote:You stated you got FoMoCo sensors. What is the MHz rating on your sensors?
I just recently bought a new tire/wheel package, and had new sensors installed.
The sensor rating is 315MHz, and this is the typical frequency for Ford.

I bought the learning tool also, but never needed it, as the sensors were recognized by the TPMS unit.

Yes, mine are 315Mhz.
csonni

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby csonni - March 6th, 2018, 10:17 pm

Touringmike wrote:As mentioned above, I bought the program trigger, which is a FoMoCo part, from Tirerack.com, but never had to use it.
Cost was $45.00.
When new sensors are installed, they must be registered using a TPMS triggering tool.

So, what gives. You say you didn't need the tool but the instructions say you do. How did you skip the "triggering" section?
csonni

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Touringmike - March 6th, 2018, 10:32 pm

csonni wrote:
Touringmike wrote:As mentioned above, I bought the program trigger, which is a FoMoCo part, from Tirerack.com, but never had to use it.
Cost was $45.00.

So, what gives. You say you didn't need the tool but the instructions say you do. How did you skip the "triggering" section?

You shouldn't need them if you have the stated frequency.

I bought wheels, sensors, and tires already mounted and balanced. Had them shipped to my house.
Mounted them, and never had a sensor go off.

The stores that sell the the sensors cover their butts by selling the tool, in case it's required.
I didn't need the tool, but I bought it just in case it would be needed.
I have it in the glove box, unopened.
ImageImage
Touringmike

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby csonni - March 6th, 2018, 10:37 pm

OK. Perfect. Thank you.
csonni

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby csonni - March 26th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Just installed the wheels and tires today. The TPMS sensors must have been recognized. No light or alarm has come on. I was careful to seat each lug nut and torqued both on install and after arriving home. Tightening the lug nuts definitely had a different feel with the new wheels.
csonni

E-C LEVEL 2

PreviousNext

Return to Tires And Rims